Razov lifts Chivas USA past EarthquakesJul 6, 2008 - 5:46 AM CARSON, California (Ticker) -- Ante Razov kicked Chivas USA to the top of the Western Conference on Saturday night.
Razov scored off a free kick in the 88th minute to lead Chivas USA to a 1-0 triumph over the San Jose Earthquakes at The Home Depot Center.
The 34-year-old blasted a strike from 28 yards out which sailed past goalkeeper Joe Cannon and just inside the right goalpost for his third tally of the season and 112th of his career.
"I could see that the goalkeeper was counting on his wall, so I felt if I could get it over the wall he wouldn't get it," Razov said.
With the victory, Chivas USA (6-6-3) moved into a tie with the idle Los Angeles Galaxy (6-6-3) atop the Western Conference.
"I thought we started slow, we were timid, our ball movement wasn't crisp but after 10-15 minutes, we picked up our pace," Chivas USA coach Preki said. "We were pushing them and finding our tempo and started breaking them down. ... With all that, the game looked like it's going to end in a draw until Razov gets his opportunity and puts it away."
Conversely, San Jose (3-9-3) was shut out for the third time in its last four matches and remains with a league-low 10 goals in 15 contests.
"We've played five home games this season and 10 away - that's tough on anybody," San Jose coach Frank Yallop said. "We're looking forward to getting home and playing in friendly environment. Were not road warriors, if you like, but if you look at our results, they're not that bad for a team that's played 10 games on the road."
Earthquakes striker Ramiro Corrales nearly opened the scoring in the 37th minute after his left-footed strike from 30 yards out sailed past goalkeeper Brad Guzan and hit the right goalpost. Kei Kamara corralled the rebound, but his attempt sailed wide of the net.
Chivas USA's Bobby Burling suffered a similar fate four minutes later when his blast sailed past Cannon but bounded off the crossbar.
SAN JOSE 0
CHIVAS 1 FINAL
Jul 6 12:32 AM
- MLS UPDATE
SAN JOSE 0
CHIVAS GOAL: Ante Razov in the 88th minute
Earthquakes 0, Chivas USA 1 2nd - 88'Jul 6 12:23 AM
SAN JOSE 0
CHIVAS 0 HALFTIME
Jul 5 11:24 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29
- San Jose to host 2016 MLS All-Star Game May 28
- Wondolowski bags 100th goal as 'Quakes draw OCSC May 24
- 'Quakes hope to keep momentum against Orlando May 22
- 'Quakes double up 10-man Crew SC at Avaya May 17
- 'Quakes looking for some home cooking against Crew May 15
- 'Quakes aim to keep rolling against Rapids May 7