Braun fuels Chivas USA past EarthquakesOct 12, 2008 - 6:05 AM SAN JOSE, California (Ticker) -- Justin Braun scored in the seventh minute for the lone goal of the match as Chivas USA clinched a playoff with a 1-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday.
Dan Kennedy made just one save for Chivas (12-10-6), which has won four straight contests. It is the third straight year that Chivas has made the postseason.
"I'm very happy with the result tonight, it's a tough place to get a result and they're a good team and I give full credit to our guys," Chivas coach Preki said. "We never panicked, we fought and when we needed to, we created chances and were happy to take the win."
Braun's goal came off a feed from Alecko Eskandarian on Chivas' first shot of the game. The forward went in alone and beat goalkeeper Joe Cannon with a shot into the lower left corner of the net.
"I tried to get a good first touch on the ball to set myself up," Braun said. "It was nice to get off a good start."
San Jose (7-11-9) played with more urgency in the second half but never mounted any serious threat to the visiting squad.
The Earthquakes outshot Chivas, 13-8, but only managed one on net as the club's postseason chances took a significant hit.
"Obviously the result was not there for us tonight and I am disappointed that we didn't win at home again," San Jose coach Frank Yallop said. "I can't fault the guys for their effort, especially in the second half when they are trying to get back into the game. It's one of those games that you seem not to be able to put the final shot on target that would have made a difference in the game."
San Jose is in sixth place in the Western Conference, while Chivas moved one point behind first-place Houston (11-5-10) in the West.
Chivas completed the season series with San Jose with a 2-0-1 record. The Earthquakes were shut out in all three contests.
"I was very happy with the way we defended," Preki said. "When you come in to a place like this, a tough stadium, you have to be solid defensively."
SAN JOSE 0 FINAL
Oct 11 11:58 PM
SAN JOSE 0 HALFTIME
Oct 11 10:57 PM
- MLS UPDATE
SAN JOSE 0
CHIVAS GOAL: Justin Braun in the 7th minute
Chivas USA 1, Earthquakes 0 1st - 7'Oct 11 10:16 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29
- San Jose to host 2016 MLS All-Star Game May 28
- Wondolowski bags 100th goal as 'Quakes draw OCSC May 24
- 'Quakes hope to keep momentum against Orlando May 22
- 'Quakes double up 10-man Crew SC at Avaya May 17
- 'Quakes looking for some home cooking against Crew May 15
- 'Quakes aim to keep rolling against Rapids May 7