Hammon scores 26 to lift Silver StarsJun 27, 2009 - 3:37 AM SAN ANTONIO(AP) -- Becky Hammon scored 26 points to lead the San Antonio Silver Stars to their fifth straight at home over Sacramento, beating the Monarchs 62-52 Friday night.
DeMya Walker led the Monarchs (1-6), who lost their fourth straight, with 12 points, while Ticha Penicheiro, who missed the last four games with a sprained right thumb, added eight.
Sophia Young added 17 points and 10 rebounds to help the Silver Stars (3-3) get back to .500.
In her second game back after fulfilling a commitment to play for Russia in a European tournament, Hammon also had five rebounds, six assists and five steals.
"I thought Becky really thought the game out well, as she put us in some situations that were really good," Silver Stars head coach Dan Hughes said.
Sacramento cut 16-point lead to eight in the fourth quarter, when Rebekkah Brunson hit a 14-foot jumper to make it 58-50 with 4:38 to play.
Sacramento, which last won in San Antonio on August 3, 2006, shot 38 percent from the field, and only 1 for 7 behind on 3-pointers. The Monarchs also turned the ball over 20 times.
"We missed a lot of shots. I can't believe we keep missing them," Sacramento coach Jenny Boucek said. "We have a lot of players out of rhythm. That just takes time. You can't rush that process."
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5