McWilliams leads Shock past Monarchs 69-65Jul 20, 2009 - 3:33 AM SACRAMENTO, Calif.(AP) -- Taj McWilliams had 21 points, 12 rebounds, and a clutch basket in the fourth quarter to help the Detroit Shock beat the Sacramento Monarchs 69-65 on Sunday night.
Deanna Nolan and Shavonte Zellous each added 11 points for the Shock (5-8), who have won three of their last four games.
With the game tied at 65 in the fourth quarter, McWilliams grabbed a rebound and scored to give the Shock the lead with 7 seconds left to play. After Kara Braxton blocked Monarchs forward DeMya Walker layup with 4 seconds on the clock, McWilliams sealed it with two free throws.
Nicole Powell scored 12 points and DeMya added 11 points for the Monarchs (3-13), who are riding a five-game losing streak and own the worst record in the WNBA.
- Shock overhaul continues with trade for Crossley Apr 14
- Shock send draft picks to Sun for Holt, Black Apr 7
- Shock considering trading draft picks for veterans Mar 31
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 11
- Marion Jones signs with WNBA's Tulsa Shock Mar 10
- Shock may make move without 2 All-Stars Feb 9
- Kings owner will no longer operate WNBA franchise Nov 20
- WNBA's Detroit franchise moving to Tulsa, Okla. Oct 20
- AP source: Detroit Shock are moving to Tulsa Oct 19
- Fever top Shock, reach first WNBA finals Sep 27
- Fever beat Shock 79-75 to force Game 3 Sep 25
- Zellous, Nolan help Shock beat Fever, 72-56 Sep 23