Penicheiro lifts Monarchs to OT win over StarsJul 30, 2009 - 9:50 PM SACRAMENTO, Calif.(AP) -- Ticha Penicheiro had 12 points, nine assists, and six rebounds to help the Sacramento Monarchs beat the San Antonio Silver Stars 101-93 in overtime on Thursday.
Nicole Powell had 21 points and seven rebounds, and DeMya Walker added 14 points for the Monarchs (5-15), who almost blew a 15-point lead.
Becky Hammon had a career-high 38 points and six assists, and Sophia Young added 29 points and 11 rebounds for the Silver Stars (8-9). San Antonio coach Dan Hughes missed the game as he was attending to his ailing father in Ohio.
Penicheiro's layup gave the Monarchs an 87-85 lead with 53 seconds left in regulation, but Hammon's one-handed shot with 17 seconds remaining forced overtime.
The Monarchs started the extra period with a 7-0 run. Walker made a layup with 1:15 left, and Kara Lawson added two free throws to secure Sacramento's victory.
SAN ANTONIO 93
SACRAMENTO 101 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jul 30 5:05 PM
SAN ANTONIO 50
SACRAMENTO 53 HALFTIME
Jul 30 3:39 PM
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5