Jekabsone-Zogota, Holt lead Sun past LibertySep 5, 2009 - 2:14 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- Amber Holt scored 11 of her 18 points in the fourth quarter and overtime and the Connecticut Sun kept their playoffs hopes alive with an 88-85 victory over the New York Liberty on Friday night.
The loss eliminated New York (12-19) from playoff contention.
Anete Jekabsone-Zogota tied her career high with 23 points and had seven rebounds and four assists for the Sun (15-17). Holt added six rebounds and five assists, and Lindsay Whalen had 16 points, seven assists and five rebounds.
The Sun snapped a five-game losing streak, playing their ninth straight game without leading scorer Asjha Jones (Achilles' tendon).
"I just aged 10 years," Sun coach Mike Thibault said after coaching his team in a franchise-record sixth overtime game this season. "But nothing about this team surprises me anymore."
Shameka Christon led New York with 22 points, and Essence Carson had 16.
"Breakdowns," New York coach Anne Donovan said. "We had turnovers."
Connecticut trailed by nine points with 4:49 left in regulation, then held New York scoreless the rest of the quarter.
"We had to dig down deep and play defense," Holt said.
Holt converted a steal into a layup with 1:21 left in overtime to give Connecticut the lead for good at 82-80. She followed with a 3-pointer to make it 85-80 with 36.4 seconds left. New York crept within one with 8.9 seconds left when Christon was fouled shooting a 3-pointer and made all three free throws.
Whalen made two free throws for Connecticut with 7.2 seconds left, and New York's Sidney Spencer missed a 3-pointer as time ran out. "You can't say we haven't given effort," Whalen said. "This team has been pretty good at staying with it."
NEW YORK 85
CONNECTICUT 88 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Sep 4 9:20 PM
NEW YORK 18
CONNECTICUT 18 END, 1ST QTR
Sep 4 7:28 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22