Leslie scores 18 in Sparks' win over Silver StarsSep 9, 2009 - 5:53 AM LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Lisa Leslie scored 18 points and Noelle Quinn had 15 points as the Los Angeles Sparks secured a WNBA Western Conference playoff spot by rallying for a 76-68 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Tuesday night.
Tina Thompson added 13 points and Candace Parker had 12 points and 13 rebounds for the Sparks (16-16), who broke a two-game losing streak.
"We just really fought hard on both ends of the court, which is really unusual for us," Leslie said. "We need to make that a habit."
Shanna Crossley scored 16 points for the Silver Stars (14-17), who have lost five of eight. Sophia Young and Ann Wauters both added 13 points, and Becky Hammon had 12 points, seven assists and four rebounds.
"That's not an easy team to defend because they're so smart, they're not going to hurt themselves," Leslie said. "But we got our hands on a lot of deflections and that led to easier baskets in the paint."
San Antonio, which led by as many as 10 points, held a 53-47 edge in the third quarter. Los Angeles then used a 13-2 run to move ahead 60-55 with 8:10 to play.
"They came out with a tougher mindset in the second half," Hammon said. "That first five minutes really determined the flow for the rest of the game, which is too bad."
Young made a layup while being fouled and converted the ensuing free throw to narrow the Silver Stars' deficit to 60-58. But Leslie and Quinn each scored four points during a 10-3 spurt to extend Los Angeles' lead to 70-61 with 3:46 left.
The Sparks shot 50 percent and forced 18 turnovers that resulted in 23 points.
SAN ANTONIO 68
LOS ANGELES 76 FINAL
Sep 9 12:29 AM
SAN ANTONIO 16
LOS ANGELES 16 END, 1ST QTR
Sep 8 10:59 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candace Parker disappointed, will not be on US hoops roster Apr 26
- AP Sources: Candace Parker left off Rio roster Apr 25
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30
- LA Sparks hire Tonya Edwards as assistant coach Mar 16