Hammon's 27 points lift Silver Stars past MonarchsSep 11, 2009 - 8:58 AM SACRAMENTO, Calif.(AP) -- Becky Hammon scored 27 points to lead San Antonio to an 80-71 victory over the Sacramento Monarchs on Thursday night, moving the Silver Stars one win from securing a playoff berth.
Ann Wauters had 16 points and Sophia Young added 14 to help San Antonio (15-18) win for the fourth time in five games to move a half-game ahead of Minnesota for the fourth and final postseason spot in the Western Conference.
The Silver Stars, who lost to Detroit in the finals last year, can secure the spot with a win at home against Seattle on Saturday - or if Minnesota loses one of its final two games.
Nicole Powell had 17 points and 10 rebounds for Sacramento (11-23), which will not reach the playoffs for the first time since 2002.
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5