Montgomery scores 23 in Sun win over LynxMay 28, 2010 - 4:07 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- Renee Montgomery scored 23 points and had six assists against her former team, and Tan White scored 22 points for the Connecticut Sun in a 105-79 victory over the Minnesota Lynx on Thursday night.
"I felt good for the first time this season," Montgomery said. "I've had some unfortunate nagging injuries. It was just strange that this game happened to come against Minnesota."
Tina Charles added 21 points and 10 rebounds for the Sun (3-1), who sent the Lynx (1-4) to their fourth straight loss.
The game marked the return of Minnesota guard Lindsay Whalen, the Sun's career leader in assists, who was traded by Connecticut in the offseason. The deal sent Montgomery to Connecticut along with the rights to the first pick in the WNBA draft. The Sun took Charles with that selection.
"After six years of games here, games in the WNBA Finals, I've been through a lot with this organization and with these fans," Whalen said. "There is a connection with the fans and with the players here. You definitely get to know a lot of people in six years. It was a nice show of appreciation from the fans."
Whalen, who played in Connecticut for six seasons, scored six points.
Charde Houston and Rashanda McCants led the Lynx with 16 points apiece. Rebekkah Brunson had 14 and Monica Wright had 11.
"We have to go back to basics," Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve said. "It's a long season. We still have 29 games left."
Connecticut shot 51 percent from the field (34 for 67) and made nine 3-pointers. The Sun have made at least nine 3-pointers in three of four games this season.
Connecticut scored a franchise-record 84 points through three quarters and carried a 26-point lead into the fourth.
The Sun shot 56 percent in the first half.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14