Montgomery scores 29 to lift Sun over Fever 86-77Jun 12, 2010 - 2:17 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- Renee Montgomery scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Connecticut Sun to an 86-77 victory over the Indiana Fever on Friday night.
Montgomery made a 3-pointer and two free throws during a 15-5 run in the final 3:08 that helped the Sun (6-2) seal the victory.
"This was a playoff atmosphere," Montgomery said. "I was glad I could contribute."
She made a career-high five 3-pointers.
"Renee Montgomery torched us," Indiana coach Lin Dunn said. "She was a huge difference in the game."
Tina Charles added 12 points and 12 rebounds for Connecticut, while Sandrine Gruda scored 12 points and Tan White had 10. The Sun made a season-high 10 3-point field goals.
Jessica Davenport scored a career-high 18 points for the Fever (5-4). Katie Douglas added 15 points for Indiana, while Ebony Hoffman scored 13 and Tamika Catchings had 12 points and eight rebounds.
Douglas hit a 3-pointer with 3:08 remaining to give Indiana a 72-71 lead. Montgomery's 3 with two minutes left put Connecticut ahead 77-72.
"I was very proud of the way we played in the fourth quarter. One turnover," Connecticut coach Mike Thibault said. "We're not all the way there yet, but boy, this was a good step."
Connecticut had a 45-39 lead at halftime, but the Fever outscored the Sun 23-12 in the third period to take a 62-57 lead heading to the fourth.
Indiana made three straight 3-pointers midway through the second period - two from Hoffman - that helped cut into an 11-point deficit.
Montgomery made a 3-pointer at the first-quarter horn to give the Sun a 26-16 lead.
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8