Sky slip past Sun 86-77Jun 23, 2010 - 3:24 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- The Chicago Sky overcame trouble when Sylvia Fowles went to the bench with foul trouble on Tuesday night.
The Sky (5-8) used a 13-4 run in the fourth quarter with leading scorer Fowles with five fouls and the Sky snapped a four-game losing streak with an 86-77 win over the Connecticut Sun.
Epiphanny Prince scored 19 points for the Sky (5-8) and Erin Thorn scored a season-high 18 points, including a pair of 3-pointers during a 13-4 run. Dominique Canty added 14 points.
"I don't want to say this was a must-win but it kind of was," Chicago coach Stephen Key said. "I think we're a better team than our record."
Fowles, averaging 19.5 points, committed her fifth foul with 7:57 remaining and the Sky trailing 63-62.
"We went to a zone and with all their big players out there, we knew that if we could get some stops, we could create some mismatches," Key said.
Connecticut (8-4) cut an eight-point deficit to 70-67 with 4:20 left, but Thorn made a 3-pointer and Prince made a layup to make it 75-67. Connecticut got no closer than five the rest of the way.
It was the Sun's first home loss of the season. The Sun hadn't lost a home game since Aug. 25.
"It's winning on the road where we've had a little losing streak going on," Thorn said. "We finally played 40 minutes."
Fowles scored 12 points and Jia Perkins had 11 for the Sky, who trailed by eight in the third period.
"I think this definitely was a momentum builder," Prince said. "I think this showed we can play with anybody."
Tina Charles had 14 points and 16 rebounds for the Sun, while Sandrine Gruda and Anete Jekabsone-Zogota had 13 apiece. Renee Montgomery scored 12 points and Tan White had 11.
"We played bad basketball that I've been worried about for two days," Sun coach Mike Thibault said. "Chicago played a great second half. They defended and we didn't."
The Sun shot 6-for-24 from 3-point range with the Sky made 6 of 8.
CONNECTICUT 77 FINAL
Jun 22 9:23 PM
CONNECTICUT 20 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 22 7:53 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Fever beat Sky 100-89, advance to Eastern Conference finals Sep 21