NY's Pondexter ejected, Mercury win 97-82Jul 4, 2010 - 4:23 AM PHOENIX(AP) -- Candice Dupree had 24 points and nine rebounds to help the Phoenix Mercury to a 97-82 win Saturday night over the New York Liberty and former teammate Cappie Pondexter, who was ejected in the third quarter.
Pondexter, who won the 2007 and 2009 WNBA titles with Phoenix, smacked Penny Taylor in the face as she went up for a layup with 9:06 left in the third quarter.
Taylor got up and looked as if she would retaliate, but players and officials got in between the two. Pondexter got a flagrant 2 foul and Taylor received a technical.
Tangela Smith added 21 points and 10 rebounds and Taurasi had 20 points and five assists for Phoenix (6-11), which snapped a six-game losing streak.
Pondexter finished with 21 points and five rebounds for the Liberty (7-8). Plenette Pierson scored 13 of her 18 points after Pondexter was tossed.
The fourth-year guard from Rutgers played her first three seasons in Phoenix before being traded to New York was part in a three-team deal that sent Dupree to Phoenix.
She received her championship ring and warm greetings from the Mercury in a short ceremony before the game.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
NEW YORK 16 26 15 25 82
PHOENIX 22 28 28 19 97 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NYL - CAPPIE PONDEXTER 21, PLENETTE PIERSON
18, TWO PLAYERS WITH 11
PHO - CANDICE DUPREE 24, TANGELA SMITH 21,
DIANA TAURASI 20
Jul 4 12:06 AM
NEW YORK 16
PHOENIX 22 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 3 10:27 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22