Silver Stars stay unbeaten, edge MercuryJun 18, 2011 - 4:40 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Becky Hammon scored 12 of her 22 points in the final quarter and hit the go-ahead shot with 3:18 remaining, boosting San Antonio to a 101-99 win over Phoenix.
At 4-0, the Silver Stars are the lone remaining unbeaten team in the WNBA this season. The Mercury are on the other end at 0-3.
Sophia Young tallied 26 points and eight rebounds, while Danielle Adams chipped in 16 points for the winners.
Diana Taurasi scored 20 for Phoenix, which wasted a 16-point lead just before halftime. Penny Taylor contributed 18 points and 10 assists, while Candice Dupree ended with 18 points and 12 boards.
Three-pointers by Hammon and Adams gave Phoenix a 94-90 lead.
Dupree's layup had the hosts within 98-96 with 38.9 seconds to go. After a missed jumper from Hammon, the Mercury had a chance to tie or go in front. DeWanna Bonner missed a shot from the right of the lane and Dupree couldn't get the follow attempt to fall with four seconds left.
Jia Perkins canned one free throw and Hammon made two more to seal the outcome.
- SAN ANTONIO: 101
Jun 18 12:25 AM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 17 10:13 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6