Mercury get offensive balance in rout of DreamJun 25, 2011 - 1:57 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Penny Taylor nearly had a triple-double, finishing with 17 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists, leading Phoenix to a 92-83 win over the Atlanta Dream.
Diana Taurasi added 20 points and eight boards, while Candice Dupree scored 19 and Kara Braxton 17 in the Mercury's third consecutive victory after opening the season with three straight defeats.
Phoenix won despite committing 22 turnovers, but the Mercury limited the Dream to 35.9 percent shooting. Meanwhile, the Mercury sank 52.3 percent of their shots, including 7-of-14 from three-point range.
Angel McCoughtry had 24 points to pace Atlanta, which was coming off a 71-68 home win over Chicago.
Already ahead 51-43 at the half, Phoenix used tenacious defense to make this game a blowout. Atlanta went 2-of-19 from the field in the third quarter. Phoenix scored the final 11 of the period to lead 74-57, and was ahead by as many as 20 in the fourth.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11