Liberty holds off Silver StarsJul 9, 2011 - 2:27 AM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter poured in 20 points, grabbed nine rebounds and handed out seven assists to lead the New York Liberty to a hard-fought 76-73 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars.
The Liberty, which downed the Silver Stars for the fifth consecutive time, saw each of its starters score in double figures. Plenette Pierson recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 boards, while Nicole Powell had 13 points and Leilani Mitchell and Kia Vaughn had 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Becky Hammon paced the Silver Stars with 18 points, but coughed the ball up seven times. Jia Perkins finished with 13 points, while Sophia Young added 10 points, eight boards and six assists. Danielle Adams rose from the pine to tally 12 points.
San Antonio trailed 55-51 after three quarters and fought valiantly over the final 10 minutes, but Pierson tallied eight points on 3-of-4 shooting in the final period to hold of the charging Silver Stars.
The game features five ties and seven lead changes.
- NEW YORK: 76
SAN ANTONIO: 73
Jul 8 10:00 PM
- NEW YORK: 37
SAN ANTONIO: 31
Jul 8 8:51 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 8 8:08 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22