Whalen leads the way as Lynx rally to defeat Silver StarsJul 31, 2011 - 9:38 PM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Lindsay Whalen's jumper with less than two seconds on the clock gave the Minnesota Lynx a 70-69 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars.
The win extended the Lynx's advantage over the Silver Stars for the Western Conference lead to two games.
Whalen scored a game-high 23 points and added seven rebounds in Minnesota's sixth straight win.
Jia Perkins led the Silver Stars with 18 points from the bench, and Becky Hammon paced the starters with 15 points and six assists as San Antonio had their two-game win streak snapped.
San Antonio held a 12-point lead at the half, but Whalen caught fire with a 12-point third quarter to lead the Lynx to a 56-55 advantage after three.
Two Hammon free throws gave Minnesota a 69-68 lead with 1:16 left in the game. Seimone Augustus then missed a go-ahead jumper with thirty-four seconds left, but a turnover by Hammon paved the way for Whalen's game-deciding shot just before time expired.
- MINNESOTA: 70
SAN ANTONIO: 69
Jul 31 5:05 PM
- MINNESOTA: 30
SAN ANTONIO: 42
Jul 31 3:50 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 31 3:12 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14