Carson comes up with big block, Liberty edge StormAug 10, 2011 - 2:36 AM New York Liberty escaped with a 58-56 win over the Seattle Storm.
Cappie Pondexter scored 19 points and Plenette Pierson totaled 10 points and eight rebounds, as the Liberty won for the third time in four games.
Bird scored 17 for Seattle, which has lost back-to-back contests.
Pondexter's layup gave the hosts a 57-56 lead with 41.1 seconds left.
Bird then had three opportunities to possibly put the Storm ahead, but failed each time. Not only that, but Swin Cash missed a wide-open layup. Bird first missed a three-point attempt, but New York's Nicole Powell lost the ball out of bounds, leaving one second on the shot clock for the Storm.
A running jumper was then missed by Bird, but the ball was knocked out of bounds with 8.4 seconds left, and Seattle retained possession. Two defenders inexplicably left Cash, giving her a chance to drive to the basket, but the layup was missed.
Pierson made 1-of-2 at the line with 3.3 seconds left to set up the finish. Bird drove to her right, but Carson came from behind to block the shot as time expired.
- SEATTLE: 56
NEW YORK: 58
Aug 9 10:16 PM
- SEATTLE: 29
NEW YORK: 32
Aug 9 8:54 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 9 8:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15