Dupree's bucket boosts Phoenix into West finalsSep 20, 2011 - 4:57 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Candice Dupree's put-back with 1.9 seconds left off a Penny Taylor miss lifted Phoenix over defending WNBA champion Seattle, 77-75, in the decisive Game 3 of their Western Conference semifinal series.
Dupree netted 20 points and Taylor added 19 with 17 rebounds for the Mercury, who will play either San Antonio or Minnesota in the West finals. The series between the Silver Stars and Lynx is going to a Game 3 Tuesday night.
Diana Taurasi had 19 points, but fouled out of the game with 6:38 left. The Mercury still had the answers offensively and was buoyed by a 22-of-23 performance at the foul line.
Sue Bird had 22 points, Lauren Jackson 18 and Tanisha Wright 17 for the Storm, who lost the final two games and blew an 18-point lead in this one.
Taylor's driving layup gave the visitors a two-point lead with 33.7 seconds left, but Bird's jumper from the left side with 14 seconds to go, just after a Wright miss, evened the score.
Seattle, which was out of timeouts after Dupree's bucket, never got off a final shot.
Already up 20-9 after the first quarter, the Storm pushed the margin to 29-11 in the second. The difference was 39-30 at the half. The Mercury tied it three times in the third, but didn't move in front until 60-59 on Dupree's jumper with 6:56 remaining.
- PHOENIX: 77
Sep 20 12:16 AM
- PHOENIX: 54
End of 3rd
Sep 19 11:40 PM
- PHOENIX: 30
Sep 19 11:00 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 19 10:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14