Sun stomp LibertyMay 20, 2012 - 11:40 PM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Tina Charles poured in a game-high 25 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to pace the Connecticut Sun to a 92-77 win over the New York Liberty.
Asjha Jones dropped 20 points and grabbed eight boards while Renee Montgomery chipped in with 15 points off the bench to help the Sun improve to 2-0 after they defeated New York, 78-73, in New York on Saturday to open the season.
Cappie Pondexter led the Liberty in scoring with 18 points, while Plenette Pierson scored 16 and Kara Braxton had 11 points for New York, which dropped its first two games of 2012.
The Liberty lead after one, 24-15, but Connecticut outscored New York in the second stanza to take a 44-40 lead into the break.
The Sun extended their lead to eight at 67-59 going into the final quarter and kept their foot on the gas until the final buzzer, outscoring the Liberty 25-18 in the fourth to lock up the win.
Connecticut will be in action again Friday when it plays host to San Antonio, while New York takes on Minnesota Tuesday.
- NEW YORK: 77
May 20 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 40
May 20 6:05 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 20 5:13 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22