Mercury send Shock to 6th consecutive lossJun 4, 2012 - 12:34 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - DeWanna Bonner poured in a game-high 23 points and pulled down 13 rebounds as the Phoenix Mercury topped the Tulsa Shock, 79-72, on Sunday.
Samantha Prahalis netted 19 points and Candice Dupree scored 15 points to go with five rebounds and four assists for the Mercury, who snapped a three-game slide. Alexis Grey-Lawson added nine points and eight rebounds off the bench in the victory.
Jennifer Lacy paced the Shock with 19 points on 6-of-11 shooting and Temeka Johnson dropped in 18 points to go with nine rebounds. Ivory Latta donated 10 points off the bench in the defeat for Tulsa, which has lost the first six games of the season and 12 consecutive contests dating back to last season.
Both teams struggled shooting the ball, as Phoenix shot 37.2 percent and Tulsa shot just 33.3 percent. Phoenix, however, made up for its poor shooting with solid work in the paint and on the glass.
The Mercury outscored Tulsa in the paint, 40-30, and dominated on the glass, winning the rebounding battle, 45-30. Phoenix led by as many as 12 and trailed by only three.
- TULSA: 72
Jun 3 8:12 PM
- TULSA: 25
Jun 3 7:02 PM
- TULSA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 3 6:08 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30
- Sparks acquire Riquna Williams from Wings for Phillips Mar 1
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8