Taurasi leads Mercury past Silver StarsSep 2, 2012 - 5:17 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi scored 25 points to lead the Phoenix Mercury to a 94-90 win over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Saturday.
DeWanna Bonner chipped in with 22 points and nine rebounds and Briana Gilbreath added 13 points off the bench for the Mercury, who have won two in a row on the heels of a 10-game losing streak.
Sophia Young poured in a game-high 32 points and grabbed eight rebounds and Danielle Adams scored 21 for the Silver Stars, who have dropped three straight.
Phoenix trailed 27-24 at the start of the second quarter, but outscored San Antonio 28-14 to take a 52-41 lead into the break.
The Silver Stars were able to pull within four at 92-88 in the fourth but a pair of Taurasi free throws stretched the lead to six. A Young layup with 1.4 seconds remaining accounted for the final score.
- SAN ANTONIO: 90
Sep 2 12:14 AM
- SAN ANTONIO: 41
Sep 1 10:57 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 1 10:12 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6