Mercury take down DreamSep 8, 2013 - 10:04 PM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi posted 25 points, nine rebounds and six assists to lead the Phoenix Mercury in a 79-71 win over the Atlanta Dream on Sunday.
Candice Dupree scored 15 points with five assists while Brittney Griner gave 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Mercury, who have won their last three.
Angel McCoughtry had 25 points and Tiffany Hayes added 19 for the Dream, who had a three-game winning streak stopped.
Phoenix is in the third spot in the Western Conference, while Atlanta sits second in the Eastern Conference. Both teams have already clinched playoff spots.
Atlanta scored the first five points of the game, but Griner tied the game and Taurasi gave Phoenix the lead, 11-9. Phoenix took a 28-17 lead after one quarter and never surrendered the lead the rest of the way.
The Dream got within 74-71 with 1:22 left following a free throw from McCoughtry, but she missed a potential tying 3-point shot. Taurasi made three free throws and Dupree added two more from the charity stripe down the stretch.
- PHOENIX: 79
Sep 8 5:22 PM
- PHOENIX: 46
Sep 8 4:03 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 8 3:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11