Sky down Liberty for fifth straight winJul 21, 2013 - 2:35 AM Rosemont, IL (Sports Network) - Tamera Young led a balanced Chicago scoring attack with 17 points off the bench as the surging Sky delivered an 80-69 victory over the New York Liberty at Allstate Arena.
Four other Chicago players scored in double figures in the Sky's fifth consecutive triumph. Sylvia Fowles totaled 15 points and a game-high 13 rebounds, Swin Cash contributed 13 points and Epiphanny Prince and Courtney Vandersloot each finished with 11. Vandersloot also dished out nine assists for the current Eastern Conference leaders.
Cappie Pondexter netted 22 points to pace the Liberty, but hit on just 8-of-20 field goal attempts. Plenette Pierson went 7-of-18 from the floor in a 17- point, 11-rebound effort.
Chicago trailed 42-39 at halftime after Pondexter buried a 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds left before the break, but outscored the Liberty by a 20-6 margin to begin the third quarter to build a 59-48 lead with two minutes remaining in the period.
New York battled back and pulled within 61-59 on Pierson's jumper to open the fourth quarter, and the Sky were up by just four with 5:32 left to play. Prince then hit a 3-pointer to ignite a 7-0 spurt that pushed the margin to double digits, and the Liberty made just one basket over the final five minutes.
- NEW YORK: 69
Jul 20 10:01 PM
- NEW YORK: 42
Jul 20 8:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 20 8:15 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8