Liberty hold off SunJun 15, 2013 - 1:50 AM Newark, NJ (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter scored 20 points and the New York Liberty posted a 78-68 win over the Connecticut Sun.
Leilani Mitchell tallied 10 of her 16 points in the final quarter and pulled down nine rebounds for New York, which moved to 4-0 at home this season. Kara Braxton chipped in 11 points and 13 boards, and Katie Smith scored 10 for the Liberty.
Allison Hightower had 17 points and Kara Lawson tallied 16 for Connecticut, which failed to build on a 12-point road win against Indiana on Wednesday. The Sun shot 34.7 percent from the field, including a woeful 4-of-17 in the final quarter.
The Liberty increased their lead to 70-57 with six minutes remaining following a layup from Kelsey Bone, but the Sun scored 11 of the next 13 points. A pair of free throws from Kelly Faris made it a 72-68 contest with 2:06 left.
Tina Charles, though, missed three shots down the stretch for Connecticut. It was part of a 3-for-17 night for the reigning league MVP.
Connecticut, which carried a 33-24 lead into halftime, was ahead by as many as 11 in the third quarter.
- CONNECTICUT: 68
NEW YORK: 78
Jun 14 9:29 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
NEW YORK: 24
Jun 14 8:26 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 14 7:40 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22