Fever beat top-seeded Sky to open playoffsSep 21, 2013 - 1:24 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Shavonte Zellous scored 20 points Friday night and the defending WNBA champion Indiana Fever beat the Chicago Sky 85-72 in the opener of a three-game Eastern Conference playoff series.
Game 2 of the first-round series is Sunday in Indianapolis.
Karima Christmas and Briann January added 16 points apiece and Erlana Larkins had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Fever, who won their first WNBA title last year but are seeded fourth after going 16-18 during the regular season.
Former WNBA MVP Tamika Catchings scored 11 points in the win. January netted seven of her 16 points during the second quarter, when the Fever outscored the Sky 25-15 to take a 50-37 lead into halftime.
The Sky earned their first-ever playoff berth and the No. 1 seed with a 24-10 record in the regular season, but had a flat postseason debut, never leading after the first quarter.
Rookie of the Year Elena Delle Donne led Chicago with 20 points, Epiphanny Prince scored 19 and Sylvia Fowles had 16 with 10 rebounds. Price scored 14 of her points in the second half.
The Fever improved to 28-6 all-time against the Sky.
- INDIANA: 85
Sep 20 9:07 PM
- INDIANA: 50
Sep 20 8:01 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 20 7:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2