Lynx earn first win of seasonJun 6, 2007 - 5:03 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Seimone Augustus scored 22 points to lead the Minnesota Lynx to their first victory of the season, 90-85, over the Phoenix Mercury on Tuesday.
The Lynx started the season 0-7, their worst start in franchise history, but gutted out a win over the Mercury with all five starters scoring in double figures.
Minnesota (1-7) led by as many as 18 points in the third when Augustus' jumper at the 3:39 mark made stretched the lead to 73-55. Augustus' shot capped off a 14-6 run in which all five started contributed at least one basket.
The Mercury (4-4) clawed their way back, pulling to within 86-85 with 1:24 remaining in the game. All-Star Diana Taurasi knocked down a pair of 3-pointers during Phoenix's fourth-quarter run, but her poor shooting early in the game is what doomed her team.
Taurasi scored just three points in the first half on 1-of-6 shooting and had just two points in the third when Minnesota made its run. She finished with 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting and missed three shots in the final three minutes.
The Lynx connected on just 4-of-8 free throws in the final minute, but held Phoenix scoreless to secure the win. The Mercury have now lost three games in a row after beginning the season 4-1.
PHOENIX 85 FINAL
Jun 6 12:31 AM
PHOENIX 61 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 5 11:57 PM
PHOENIX 43 HALFTIME
Jun 5 11:21 PM
PHOENIX 20 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 5 10:50 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25