Christon's 22 points carries Liberty past SunJun 21, 2007 - 1:36 AM UNCASVILLE, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Shameka Christon scored a season-high 22 points and Ashley Battle chipped in 18 off the bench as the New York Liberty posted a 76-73 triumph over the Connecticut Sun on Wednesday night.
Christon connected on 6-of-18 shots, including 3-of-6 from the arc, to fall just three points shy of her career high.
Late in the fourth quarter, Lindsay Whalen scored on a fast-break layup with 11 seconds remaining as Connecticut pulled within 74-73. Whalen finished with nine points and 10 assists.
Battle's two free throws with nine seconds left rebuilt a 3-point edge. But Connecticut had a chance to tie, when Katie Douglas was fouled on an apparent 3-pointer, but the officials ruled it was not a 3-point attempt. After misfiring on the first foul shot, Douglas missed the second on purpose and New York grabbed the rebound to seal the win.
Douglas and Nykesha Sales netted 17 points each and Asjha Jones added 14 for the Sun, who shot 47 percent (30-of-63) en route to their fifth straight defeat.
Earlier, the Liberty acquired guard Lisa Willis was the Los Angeles Sparks in exchange for Sheril Baker. Selected fifth overall in last year's draft, Willis was averaging 2.3 points in eight games this season.
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22