Thompson, Dixon carry Comets past LibertyJul 21, 2007 - 1:57 AM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- All-Star Tina Thompson scored 26 points and Tamecka Dixon added 20 off the bench as the Houston Comets posted an 80-74 victory over the New York Liberty on Friday.
Dixon's 3-pointer with just over 6 minutes remaining helped the Comets build a 67-60 advantage in the fourth quarter. But Erin Thorn capped an 8-2 surge with a basket as the Liberty pulled within one with 4:15 remaining.
However, the 1-2 punch of Thompson and Dixon combined for Houston's next nine points to create a 77-71 cushion with 26 seconds left to seal the game.
Hamchetou Maiga-Ba had 10 points and five rebounds for Comets, who shot 50 percent (27-of-54) from the field and forced 16 turnovers.
Cathrine Kraayeveld was the lone bright spot for New York, scoring a career-high 31 points on 12-of-23 shooting, including 5-of-11 from 3-point range.
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9