Taurasi lifts Mercury over SkyJul 28, 2007 - 3:20 AM CHICAGO (Ticker) -- The Phoenix Mercury are still perfect against the Chicago Sky.
Diana Taurasi's reverse scoop shot with five seconds remaining proved to be the difference as the Mercury defeated the Sky, 98-96, on Friday.
Paced by Taurasi's 26 points, the Mercury improved to 4-0 all-time against the Sky.
Chicago's Cathy Joens attempting to win the game in the waning seconds but her long-distance 3-pointer fell short of the basket.
Phoenix (15-10) received a 19-point effort from Tangela Smith and Kelly Miller added 17. Cappie Pondexter tallied 16 points for the Mercury, who won their third straight game.
Chicago (11-14) was led by Stacey Dales and Joens who had 23 and 21 points respectively. Despite the loss, the Sky set a franchise record by sinking 15 3-pointers - seven by Dales.
CHICAGO 96 FINAL
Jul 27 10:41 PM
CHICAGO 71 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 27 10:03 PM
CHICAGO 52 HALFTIME
Jul 27 9:27 PM
CHICAGO 19 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 27 8:59 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18