Pierson helps Detroit avoid upset in Game TwoAug 26, 2007 - 7:51 PM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- Plenette Pierson made sure the Detroit Shock flexed its defensive muscle at the right time.
Pierson scored 11 points and came up with two strong plays on defense in the closing 27 seconds as the Shock held on for a 76-73 victory over the New York Liberty in Game Two of their Eastern Conference semifinal.
Although the Liberty rallied from an 17-point deficit in between the third and fourth quarters, they were unable to keep pace due to the 6-2 Pierson.
After a layup by Cheryl Ford gave Detroit a 75-73 lead, Pierson bottled up New York's Janel McCarville, the recently-named WNBA Most Improved Player, on a baseline drive with 24 seconds left.
The Shock's Katie Smith then turned over the ball, but remained in control as Pierson blocked a layup attempt by Cathrine Kraayeveld with six seconds to play.
Deanna Nolan, who finished with 16 points and seven rebounds, split to free throws with two seconds left to round out the scoring for Detroit, which bounced back from a 73-51 loss at New York in Friday's series opener.
The deciding Game Three will be held here on Tuesday.
Swin Cash scored 14 points and Ford added 11 and 10 boards for the Shock.
McCarville and Shameka Christon had 19 points apiece for the Liberty, who were outrebounded 41-29.
NEW YORK 73
DETROIT 76 FINAL
Aug 26 3:12 PM
NEW YORK 53
DETROIT 60 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 26 2:37 PM
NEW YORK 31
DETROIT 42 HALFTIME
Aug 26 1:59 PM
NEW YORK 20
DETROIT 19 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 26 1:29 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9