Nolan, Shock force Game Three in East finalsSep 28, 2008 - 10:46 PM YPSILANTI, Michigan (Ticker) -- With their season on the line, the Detroit Shock picked up yet another home win, albeit in unfamiliar territory.
Deanna Nolan scored nine of her 22 points in the fourth quarter to lift the Shock to a season-saving 64-55 victory over the New York Liberty in Sunday's Game Two of the Eastern Conference finals.
Katie Smith scored 11 points for Shock, who staved off elimination with the triumph and will host the decisive third game of the series Monday.
Detroit outscored New York, 25-9, in the fourth quarter to erase a seven-point deficit entering the final period.
The Shock, who were 14-3 at home in the regular season, eliminated the Indiana Fever on their home floor in the decisive Game Three of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Despite continuing its home success in this one, Detroit had to do it at Eastern Michigan University thanks to a scheduling conflict at the Palace of Auburn Hills.
With "Disney on Ice" taking over their home arena and the Detroit Red Wings at nearby Joe Louis Arena, the Shock were forced to play in Ypsilanti, Michigan, which is more than 50 miles outside the Motor City.
Nolan shot just 7-of-22 from the field, including 1-of-5 from the arc, and Smith was 3-of-12 from the floor, including 1-of-4 on 3-pointers, for Detroit, which got forward Plenette Pierson back in the lineup.
Pierson, who was sidelined with a right shoulder injury, scored 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
Shameka Christon scored 16 points for New York.
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9