Deduno, Twins blank BoSoxAug 3, 2012 - 5:31 AM
Deduno (3-0) won his third straight start as he gave up the two hits along with four walks and a strikeout over six innings for the Twins, who snapped a two-game slide and have won five of their past seven.
Brian Dozier hit a two-run home run, while Denard Span, Ben Revere and Ryan Doumit all drove in a run in the win.
Adrian Gonzalez had both of the hits for the Red Sox, who have dropped two straight after winning four in a row.
Jon Lester (5-9) pitched eight strong innings, but still dropped his fourth straight decision. He gave up three runs on seven hits with seven strikeouts.
"It was just another one of those hard-luck outings for Jon," said Boston manager Bobby Valentine. "He pitched eight great innings and gave us a chance, we just couldn't put anything together."
Boston got consecutive two-out walks from Dustin Pedroia and Gonzalez in the first, but Cody Ross popped out to end the frame.
Minnesota went on top in the third. Dozier led off the frame with a single and later moved to second on an Alexi Casilla groundout. Span then doubled him home and Revere followed with a single to score Span for a 2-0 advantage.
Gonzalez got a one-out double in the fourth and Ryan Lavarnway walked with two outs, but Will Middlebrooks flied out to end the frame.
The Twins plated another run in the sixth as Justin Morneau doubled with two outs and Doumit followed with a double for a 3-0 advantage.
"Nice pitching night for us," remarked Twins head coach Ron Gardenhire. "Offensively Dozier had a huge night and Morneau stayed on the ball against a very good pitcher in Lester."
Deduno stranded two men in the sixth, while Casey Fien pitched a 1-2-3 seventh.
Glen Perkins worked a perfect eighth and, after Dozier homered with Danny Valencia on base in the ninth, did the same in the final inning to pick up his sixth save of the year.
Revere extended his hitting streak to 16 games, while Span extended his to 11 games...Boston swept a three-game set in Minnesota in late April...Lester fell to 1-4 in nine career games against the Twins.
- MINNESOTA: 5
Aug 2 9:50 PM
- Brian Dozier two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Danny Valencia. Drew Butera due up.
Twins 5, Red Sox 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 2 9:40 PM
- Ryan Doumit double to right scored Justin Morneau with two out. Runner on second and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 2 8:47 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Denard Span with two out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 2 7:55 PM
- Denard Span double to right scored Brian Dozier with two out. Runner on second and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 2 7:53 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 7:13 PM
- White Sox continue road trip in Minnesota 10:41a
- Red Sox, Rays play two at Fenway 10:35a
- Hunter hits 300th HR, leads Tigers past Twins Sun
- Orioles take series from Red Sox Sun
- Red Sox try to secure split of 4-game set with O's Sun
- Twins eye series victory over Tigers Sun
- Plouffe shines in return as Twins top Tigers Sun
- Ninth-inning luck helps Red Sox clip O's Sat
- Twins' Plouffe comes off DL Sat
- Sanchez returns to the mound for Tigers against Twins Sat
- Charging Orioles aim to extend home win streak over Red Sox Sat
- Tigers blank Twins Sat