Carroll's sac fly boosts Twins over White SoxJul 31, 2012 - 5:49 AM
With Brett Myers (0-1) on the mound, Danny Valencia led off the inning with a single and Brian Dozier followed with a sac bunt. On the play, Dozier's bunt went down the first base line and catcher A.J. Pierzynski fielded it, but his quick throw to first went high and Minnesota wound up with runners on second and third with no outs.
Carroll followed with a fly ball to right that was fielded cleanly, but Alexi Casilla, who came on to run for Valencia, easily beat the throw home for the win.
Ryan Doumit and Valencia each drove in two runs for the Twins, who have won four straight. Cole De Vries pitched five innings and gave up five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits with a walk and three strikeouts while Glen Perkins (2-1) got the win pitching a scoreless ninth.
"To be able to rally for this late win is big for us," said Carroll. "We have some good guys in this clubhouse and we're really starting to feel good together now."
Pierzynski, who had missed the previous five games due to a mild oblique strain in his right side, hit a three-run home run while Alejandro De Aza was 4-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored for the White Sox, who have dropped their past two after winning five straight. Jose Quintana was charged with six runs -- four earned -- on 10 hits over seven innings.
"He got better in the game as it went on," said Pierzynski about Quintana. "He was missing his spots early and they hit him, but he settled down after that and gave us seven solid innings."
Chicago jumped all over De Vries in the first inning. De Aza singled to start the game and later stole second. He scored on a Paul Konerko single and Alex Rios followed with a walk. Pierzynski then hit his 17th homer of the season for a 4-0 lead.
Minnesota, though, did the same in the bottom of the inning. Four straight hits to start the frame were capped on RBI singles from Joe Mauer and Josh Willingham. Doumit later brought home another with a fielder's choice and Valenica's RBI single tied the game.
RBI single's from Doumit and Valencia in the third gave the Twins a 6-4 advantage, but De Aza made it a one-run game in the fourth as his single scored Alexei Ramirez. De Aza tied the game in the eighth when he again singled home Ramirez.
Minnesota right fielder Ben Revere went 1-for-4 to extend his hit streak to 13 games...Despite the loss, Chicago has won seven of 10 from Minnesota this season...The White Sox left nine on base and went 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 6
Jul 30 11:20 PM
- Jamey Carroll sacrifice fly to right scored Alexi Casilla with one out to end the game.
White Sox 6, Twins 7 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 30 11:20 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to center scored Alexei Ramirez with two outs. Runner on second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 10:52 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to right scored Alexei Ramirez with one out. On the play, Gordon Beckham advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 6 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 9:36 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly to center scored Justin Morneau with two outs. None on and Brian Dozier due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 30 9:19 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to center scored Josh Willingham with none out. On the play, Doumit out at second. Justin Morneau advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 30 9:19 PM
- Gordon Beckham doubled to left. Runner on second with one out and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 4 Top 2, 1 OutJul 30 8:49 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short, scoring Joe Mauer with two outs. On the play, Doumit advances to second on Alexei Ramirez's throwing error. Josh Willingham out at second. Runner on second and Danny Valencia due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:40 PM
- Justin Morneau flied out to center. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 8:37 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Denard Span with none out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Willingham due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 30 8:34 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski two-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right scored Paul Konerko and Alex Rios. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:25 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Alejandro De Aza with two outs. Runner on first and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:25 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 8:14 PM
- Doumit's clutch hit sends Twins past ChiSox 3:37a
- White Sox continue road trip in Minnesota 10:41a
- ChiSox avoid sweep in Houston Tue
- Astros shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of White Sox Mon
- Astros hold off White Sox Mon
- Hunter hits 300th HR, leads Tigers past Twins Sun
- Astros try to keep win streak intact vs. White Sox Sun
- Twins eye series victory over Tigers Sun
- Plouffe shines in return as Twins top Tigers Sun
- Astros get by White Sox Sun
- Twins' Plouffe comes off DL Sat
- White Sox, Astros try to find offense in Houston Sat