Quintana goes for White Sox in MinnesotaJul 30, 2012 - 3:11 PM
The White Sox arrive in town with a 1 1/2-game lead over the defending champion Detroit Tigers in the American League's Central Division. Minnesota, in fourth place among the division's five teams, is 12 games back.
Quintana, in his 13th major-league appearance and 11th start, pitched 6 1/3 innings against the Twins in Chicago on July 24 and allowed four runs on eight hits with a strikeout in the White Sox's 11-4 triumph.
He's gotten no-decisions in all three starts since the All-Star break while facing Minnesota, Boston and Kansas City. In his final two starts before the break, Quintana allowed 10 hits and seven runs in 14 innings while beating the New York Yankees and Texas.
He's unbeaten in seven games away from home this year, winning two decisions and posting a 2.81 earned run average across 41 2/3 innings.
The Twins send rookie righty Cole De Vries to the mound for a rematch against Quintana and the White Sox.
He pitched six innings of seven-hit, two-run ball in the July 24 game and also got a no-decision in the Chicago win.
In one other meeting with the White Sox - in his major-league debut on May 24 - De Vries allowed three earned runs on six hits in five innings of an 11-8 loss.
He's winless in five appearances since defeating Kansas City, 5-1, on June 30 and is 1-1 in four home starts.
On Sunday in Texas, Texas starter Scott Feldman spun eight scoreless innings, helping the Rangers snap a five-game losing streak to the White Sox with a 2-0 triumph in the finale of a three-game set.
"Any time we got anything going, he just found a way to get out of it. He got the pitch when he needed it. You just tip your hat," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said.
Gavin Floyd (8-9) surrendered two runs - one earned - on seven hits and five walks in 6 2/3 innings for the White Sox, who had their five-game winning streak stopped.
In Minnesota, Brian Duensing pitched six solid innings in his best start of the season to help the Twins get past the Cleveland Indians, 5-1, to complete a three-game sweep.
Duensing (2-6) allowed one run and five hits to win as a starter for the first time this year. He had been dealt the loss in his first four starts of 2012, but helped the Twins to their third sweep of 2012 on Sunday.
"It went pretty well," Duensing said. "I gave up that one run and got away from some mechanics, but the ball was down and sinking, and the defense made some great plays."
Justin Morneau hit his 198th career homer among three hits, and Ben Revere drove in a pair of runs in the win for Minnesota.
The White Sox have won seven of nine games between the teams in 2012, including the last five in a row. They swept a three-game series in Chicago from July 23-25.
Minnesota last won the season series in 2010.
- CHICAGO: 6
Jul 30 11:20 PM
- Jamey Carroll sacrifice fly to right scored Alexi Casilla with one out to end the game.
White Sox 6, Twins 7 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 30 11:20 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to center scored Alexei Ramirez with two outs. Runner on second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 10:52 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to right scored Alexei Ramirez with one out. On the play, Gordon Beckham advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 6 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 9:36 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly to center scored Justin Morneau with two outs. None on and Brian Dozier due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 30 9:19 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to center scored Josh Willingham with none out. On the play, Doumit out at second. Justin Morneau advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 30 9:19 PM
- Gordon Beckham doubled to left. Runner on second with one out and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 4 Top 2, 1 OutJul 30 8:49 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short, scoring Joe Mauer with two outs. On the play, Doumit advances to second on Alexei Ramirez's throwing error. Josh Willingham out at second. Runner on second and Danny Valencia due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:40 PM
- Justin Morneau flied out to center. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 8:37 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Denard Span with none out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Willingham due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 30 8:34 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski two-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right scored Paul Konerko and Alex Rios. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:25 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Alejandro De Aza with two outs. Runner on first and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:25 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 8:14 PM
- ChiSox to add reliever Belisario 9:07p
- Twins land Hughes with $24 million deal 8:05p
- Konerko inks deal to stay on the South Side Wed
- Twins add Nolasco to rotation Tue
- Twins continue to revamp rotation, reportedly land Hughes Sun
- Reports: Twins add Nolasco to rotation Nov 28
- Reports: Twins add Nolasco to rotation Nov 28
- White Sox nab INF Elmore off waivers Nov 20
- Twins' Mauer to become full-time first baseman Nov 11
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1
- White Sox keep Lindstrom for 2014 season Oct 31
- White Sox sign Cuba's Abreu Oct 29