Yankees rally to outslug Red SoxApr 22, 2012 - 3:19 AM
Nick Swisher hit a grand slam, Mark Teixeira had two homers and both players knocked in six runs Saturday as the Yankees scored 15 unanswered runs for a 15-9 win over the Red Sox.
The Yankees scored seven runs each in the seventh and eighth innings to take the lead, overcoming a 9-0 deficit one day after beating Boston on the 100th anniversary of the storied stadium.
Swisher, Teixeira, Derek Jeter and Eduardo Nunez all had three hits and New York extended its winning streak to three games.
The Red Sox, who have lost five straight, used six pitchers in the last three innings after starter Felix Doubront went six strong. Manager Bobby Valentine was booed by the crowd during some of the later changes.
"Not a good three innings at the end," said Valentine. "Real good beginning. Felix was terrific. ... I don't think the outcome is going to destroy all the good things that happened."
By the time the game was over, the starting pitchers were afterthoughts.
The Red Sox lit up New York right-hander Freddy Garcia to take a 5-0 lead after two innings and were ahead 9-0 after five. But they couldn't hold the lead for Doubront, who struck out seven while giving up one run on Teixeira's solo homer in the sixth.
Cody Ross hit a two-run homer for while David Ortiz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia both had four hits for Boston.
The comeback started in earnest against Vicente Padilla, who replaced Doubront to start the seventh inning.
The Yankees scored seven runs in the frame, the first four on Swisher's grand slam over the Green Monster in left field. Robinson Cano doubled and Alex Rodriguez reached against Matt Albers on Mike Aviles' error at shortstop.
Teixeira followed with a three-run blast to left, getting New York within 9-8.
"We started all saying to each other, 'You know, we can do this,'" said Swisher.
The Yankees sent 11 hitters to the plate in the inning, then got 12 up in the eighth.
Swisher's two-run double off Alfredo Aceves (0-1) gave the Yankees the lead, scoring Nunez and Jeter, who almost crossed paths near second when Nunez went back for a potential tag and Jeter was about to round the base. Teixeira added a ground-rule double over the right field wall, which plated two, while Russell Martin hit a two-run double and Jeter had an RBI single in his second at-bat of the inning.
It looked so much better early on for the Red Sox, who scored two runs on three doubles in the first. Ryan Sweeney hit the first one and came around on Adrian Gonzalez's two-out, ground-rule double to right. Gonzalez then scored on Ortiz's double to left
Three more runs came home in the second to chase Garcia. After Ross singled and Darnell McDonald doubled, Aviles hit an RBI single and Sweeney had a sacrifice fly. Garcia was replaced by Clay Rapada after Dustin Pedroia's RBI single.
The Red Sox loaded the bases with the first three batters in the third after Ortiz singled off Rapada, Kevin Youklis was hit by David Phelps and Saltalamacchia followed with a base hit. Phelps got two straight outs, but the second was McDonald's sac fly to score Ortiz and Aviles added an RBI base hit.
Saltalamacchia doubled off the center field wall to lead off the fifth inning and Ross followed with his third homer of the season, also to center, to make it 9-0.
Teixeira homered into the seats above the Green Monster with two outs in the sixth, his second of the season, to score New York's first run.
The Red Sox are 4-4 on a nine-game home trip that ends with tomorrow's series finale. They will send Daniel Bard against Yankees ace CC Sabathia.
Rafael Soriano worked around Saltalamacchia's leadoff ground-rule double in the seventh inning to earn the win...Garcia was charged with five runs on seven hits and remained winless in three starts this season...Doubront also remained winless in three starts. He gave up four hits and three walks...In a trade Saturday, the Red Sox acquired veteran outfielder Marlon Byrd and cash considerations from the Chicago Cubs for right-handed pitcher Michael Bowden and a player to be named later. The Red Sox designated infielder/outfielder Nate Spears for assignment.
- NEW YORK: 15
Apr 21 8:00 PM
- Derek Jeter single to short scored Russell Martin. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 15, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 7:32 PM
- Russell Martin double to center scored Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira. Runner on second with two out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 14, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 7:25 PM
- Mark Teixeira ground-rule double to right scored Nick Swisher and Robinson Cano. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 12, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 21 7:19 PM
- Nick Swisher double to right scored Eduardo Nunez and Derek Jeter. Runner on second with none out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 10, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 21 7:11 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (3) to left scored Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez. Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 8, Red Sox 9 Top 7, 1 OutApr 21 6:34 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, Grand Slam (4) to left scored Russell Martin, Eduardo Nunez and Derek Jeter. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 9 Top 7, 1 OutApr 21 6:26 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 9 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 21 6:06 PM
- Cody Ross none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Darnell McDonald due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 21 5:56 PM
- Mike Aviles single to right scored Kevin Youkilis. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 21 5:18 PM
- Darnell McDonald sacrifice fly to center scored David Ortiz. Runners on first and second with two out and Mike Aviles due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 21 5:17 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Mike Aviles. Runner on first with two out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 21 4:53 PM
- Ryan Sweeney sacrifice fly to right scored Cody Ross. Runner on first with two out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 21 4:52 PM
- Mike Aviles single to center scored Darnell McDonald. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 21 4:49 PM
- David Ortiz double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with two out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 21 4:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 4:07 PM
- Lester seeks to rebound, extend success versus Indians 7:30a
- Lackey shines as Red Sox crush Tribe 2:38a
- Yanks cruise past Rays 10:33p
- Yankees' Granderson fractures knuckle 10:18p
- Yankees activate Nova 6:00p
- Red Sox place Middlebrooks, Victorino on DL 4:12p
- Rays hope to extend home success over Yankees Fri
- Masterson hopes to keep Indians rolling in Boston Fri
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston Thu
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense Thu