Beckett tries to pitch Boston to series win over TexasAug 8, 2012 - 1:35 PM
Beckett left his last start back on July 31 against Detroit with back spasms. Despite the injury, the Red Sox faithful let him hear it, as he is just 1-5 with a 4.94 ERA in his last nine starts.
"He'll only be limited if his back hurts again," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "His arm is fine. I don't think he'll be limited."
Beckett, who is 5-9 with a 4.54 ERA on the year, has already lost twice to the Rangers this season and is just 3-4 lifetime against them with a 4.91 ERA in 10 starts. In four career starts against Texas at Fenway Park, Beckett is 0-2 with a 6.66 ERA, his worst against any American League team at home.
Texas, meanwhile, will counter with lefty Matt Harrison, who is 13-6 with a 3.17 ERA. Harrison ended a personal two-game losing streak on Friday in Kansas City, as he held the Royals to a pair of runs and eight hits in 6 2/3 innings.
"I need to make my pitches and get after guys, stay aggressive and get deep in the game," Harrison said. "This team is swinging the bat well and they're getting guys back healthy. It's all about executing pitches and sticking to the game plan and then we'll see what happens."
Harrison, who has a major league best nine road wins, is 3-1 in seven games (5 starts) against the Red Sox with a 6.10 ERA.
Texas bounced back from a loss in Monday's opener on Tuesday, as Ryan Dempster pitched into the seventh inning to get his first win in a Rangers uniform, and Ian Kinsler drove in two runs in a 6-3 triumph.
Traded by the Cubs at the July 31 deadline, Dempster (1-0) took a no-decision in his Texas debut, a 15-9 Rangers win on Thursday versus the Angels. Tuesday's game was much different for the veteran right-hander, who gave up six hits and three unearned runs, coming on a homer by Will Middlebrooks. Dempster struck out six over 6 2/3 innings.
"The tone was set by Dempster. He kept those bats off balance," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He moved the ball around, had a good slider. He was able to spot his fastball down in the zone."
Nelson Cruz and Elvis Andrus had insurance RBI hits over the final two innings for the AL West leaders.
Jon Lester (5-10) was charged with six hits and four runs over 6 2/3 innings. The lefty fell to 0-5 over his last seven starts. Lester also has double-digit losses in a season for the first time in his major league career. He's 2-8 at Fenway Park this year.
"He was throwing the ball down in the zone," Valentine said. "He walked a couple of guys tonight, but he threw the ball really well. We can knit-pick it all we want...he pitched pretty good."
Cody Ross doubled twice for the Red Sox, who have lost five of their last seven contests.
Texas has won five of seven from the Red Sox this season.
- TEXAS: 10
Aug 8 5:07 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to center scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 10, Red Sox 9 Top 9, 1 OutAug 8 4:47 PM
- Will Middlebrooks none-out, three-run Home Run (15) to left scored Adrian Gonzalez and Cody Ross. Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 8 4:15 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Dustin Pedroia with none out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 8 4:09 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, solo Home Run (18) to left. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 4:00 PM
- Geovany Soto none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored David Murphy. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 8, Red Sox 5 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 8 3:35 PM
- Kelly Shoppach struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 5 End 5Aug 8 3:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to left scoring Carl Crawford with one out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 3:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (30) to right scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 8 3:04 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (12) to center. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 3 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 8 3:00 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 8 2:41 PM
- Cody Ross singled to second scoring Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 8 1:59 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Dustin Pedroia with two out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 8 1:57 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to left scored Josh Hamilton with one out. None on and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 8 1:46 PM
- Josh Hamilton tripled to center scoring Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus with none out. Runner on third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 8 1:45 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 1:36 PM
- BoSox add Mujica to bullpen Sat
- Napoli returning to Red Sox Fri
- Rangers sign Contreras to minor-league deal Thu
- Report: BoSox to add Mujica Thu
- Red Sox ink Pierzynski to one-year deal Dec 4
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Tigers bolster bullpen with addition of Nathan Dec 3
- Red Sox, Pierzynski agree to deal Dec 3
- Red Sox non-tender former closer Bailey Dec 2
- Rangers agree to terms with Lewis on minor league deal Nov 23
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Darvish free of back inflammation Nov 21