Nova seeks rebound effort as Yanks visit White SoxAug 21, 2012 - 2:41 PM
Nova seemed to turn the corner after a couple of rough outings when he limited the Toronto Blue Jays to two runs and struck out 10 in 7 1/3 innings of a win on Aug. 11. However, he was awful on Thursday against the Texas Rangers, surrendering four runs and seven hits with four walks in 5 2/3 innings, but escaped without a decision in his team's 10-6 loss.
"It's been tough this year," Nova said. "A lot of people are expecting more from me, and I'm not happy with what I'm doing."
Nova could get back on track against the White Sox, as he is 2-0 in four starts against them with a 1.33 ERA.
Chicago, meanwhile, will counter with lefty Francisco Liriano, who picked up his first win as a member of the White Sox his last time out. Liriano beat the Blue Jays on Thursday, holding them to a pair of runs and three hits in 6 1/3 innings. He also struck out six and improved to 1-0 in four starts for Chicago since being acquired by Minnesota.
"He has pitched well a couple times and we haven't scored any runs for him, so it was nice tonight that we scored enough runs to get him a win," Chicago catcher A.J. Pierzynski said after that start.
He is 4-10 on the year, though, and has pitched to a 5.22 ERA overall.
Liriano was roughed up by the Yankees while still with the Twins back on April 17 to the tune of five runs and seven hits in just 2 1/3 innings. He is 1-4 lifetime against them with a 4.02 ERA in eight games (7 starts).
In Monday's opener between the division leaders, Alexei Ramirez smacked a tie- breaking two-run homer in the seventh inning to propel Chicago past the Yankees, 9-6. DeWayne Wise, Adam Dunn and Gordon Beckham also hit home runs for the AL Central leaders, who fell behind 3-0 after two innings, but then scored nine times over their last four frames.
Pierzynski went 3-for-5 with an RBI, as Chicago bounced back after being swept in Kansas City over the weekend.
The White Sox also snapped a six-game home skid to the Yankees.
"We didn't get off to a good start tonight," Dunn said. "I think it shows the resiliency of this team. We just kept battling."
Derek Jeter went 4-for-5 with a homer and two runs scored, and moved up the all-time hits list. Jeter increased his career hit total to 3,255, which passed Nap Lajoie (3,252) and tied Eddie Murray for 11th place.
Mark Teixeira knocked in two runs, but the Yankees saw their lead in the AL East dwindle to four games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
These teams split four games in the Bronx earlier in the year.
- NEW YORK: 3
Aug 21 10:48 PM
- Gordon Beckham singled to right scoring A.J. Pierzynski with two out. Runner on first and DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 10:39 PM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 6 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 21 10:05 PM
- Kevin Youkilis one-out, Grand Slam (15) to right scored Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and DeWayne Wise. Adam Dunn due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 21 9:44 PM
- Paul Konerko one-out, solo Home Run (21) to left. Alex Rios due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 21 9:19 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly out to left scored Alex Rios with one out. None on and Dayan Viciedo due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 21 8:45 PM
- Curtis Granderson grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Nick Swisher with two out. On the play, Andruw Jones out at second and Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 21 8:25 PM
- Derek Jeter lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 21 8:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 8:10 PM
- White Sox send Sale to the hill in Minnesota 2:11p
- Yankees, Dodgers set for doubleheader in the Bronx 8:57a
- Doumit's clutch hit sends Twins past ChiSox 3:37a
- Youkilis to have back surgery, Teixeira to DL Tue
- White Sox continue road trip in Minnesota Tue
- Mattingly leads Dodgers into the Bronx Tue
- ChiSox avoid sweep in Houston Tue
- Astros shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of White Sox Mon
- Astros hold off White Sox Mon
- Yanks' Teixeira has inflammation in right wrist Sun
- Yankees hold off Halos Sun
- Angels try to extend Yankees' skid with 3-game sweep Sun