Millwood, Mariners edge Red SoxSep 6, 2012 - 5:48 AM
Millwood (5-12) surrendered the lone run on four hits and three walks and also struck out three to earn his first win since July 28.
Dustin Ackley drove in both runs for the Mariners, winners in three of their last four.
Tom Wilhelmsen stranded a runner in the ninth to pick up his 24th save.
Aaron Cook (3-9) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five over six innings.
"He didn't do too bad. You saw it, he gave up two runs on a bases loaded base hit up the middle," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said of Cook. "We had a couple chances but we just couldn't catch it."
Cody Ross went 3-for-4 with a double and drove in the only run for Boston, which has dropped eight of nine.
After stranding two runners in both the second and third innings the Mariners took a 2-0 lead in the fourth when Ackley singled to center field to score Eric Thames and Mike Carp.
Thames led off with a single and Carp walked before Casper Wells' base hit loaded the bases ahead of Ackley's single.
The Red Sox got one back in the sixth when Ross lofted a double to right field to push Jacoby Ellsbury across. Ellsbury reached on a fielder's choice, then stole second before scoring on Ross' 28th double of the season.
Boston had an opportunity to tie the game in the eighth after Ellsbury moved to second on a Ross groundout, but James Loney struck out to end the threat.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia worked a leadoff walk in the ninth, but the Red Sox couldn't get him around as Wilhelmsen struck out Ryan Lavarnway and Mike Aviles before Ivan De Jesus grounded out to end the game.
The Mariners have played error-free in 92 of 138 games this season ... Millwood has won just two of his last 18 starts ... Cook has dropped four of his last five starts and hasn't won since Aug. 6 ... Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia had a 15-game hitting streak snapped.
- BOSTON: 1
Sep 6 12:57 AM
- Cody Ross double to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on second and James Loney due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 5 11:52 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to center scored Eric Thames and Mike Carp with one out. On the play, Casper Wells advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 5 11:25 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 10:10 PM
- Red Sox shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of Twins 9:26a
- King Felix goes for the Mariners in Cleveland 9:25a
- Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound Twins 12:34a
- Reynolds lifts Indians over Mariners 7:36p
- Indians eye another win over Mariners Sat
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox Sat
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins Sat
- Kipnis, Tribe top M's Sat
- Mariners continue trek in meeting with Indians Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri
- Mariners defeat Yanks to take series rubber match Fri