Philyaw, Amey carry Gladiators past RushJun 8, 2008 - 5:03 AM CLEVELAND (Ticker) -- Raymond Philyaw threw for 222 yards and five touchdowns to lead the Cleveland Gladiators to a 65-44 triumph over the Chicago Rush on Saturday night.
Cleveland (8-6) scored three times during the first quarter, including a 50-yard missed field-goal return by Otis Amey at the 2:23 mark. Amey also opened the scoring with a 45-yard pass from Philyaw.
The 1-2 punch of Philyaw and Amey found the end zone again in the second quarter for a 34-yard score to push Cleveland's lead to 35-10 with 5:45 remaining.
Russ Michna finished 28-of-43 for 310 yards and six touchdowns for the Rush (10-4), who collected seven penalties for 42 yards and went just 2-of-7 in the red zone.
CLEVELAND 65 FINAL
Rush 44, Gladiators 65 FinalJun 7 9:42 PM
CLEVELAND 45 END, 3RD QTR
Rush 24, Gladiators 45 End of 3rdJun 7 9:27 PM
CLEVELAND 35 HALFTIME
Rush 17, Gladiators 35 HalfJun 7 8:30 PM
CLEVELAND 21 END, 1ST QTR
Rush 7, Gladiators 21 End of 1stJun 7 7:36 PM
- Eight TDs by D'Orazio lead Soul to first ArenaBowl Jul 12
- Philyaw, Gladiators top Force Jul 8
- MacPherson guides Rampage past Rush Jul 6
- Gladiators outlast Predators in playoffs Jul 1
- Rush stomp Desperados, clinch conference's No. 1 seed Jun 22
- Philyaw fuels Gladiators past Destroyers Jun 22
- Greisen fuels Force past Rush Jun 15
- Soul pick off Gladiators Jun 15
- Desperados clinch playoff spot Jun 1
- Michna rallies Rush past Brigade Jun 1
- Videtich's last-second kick helps Blaze edge Rush May 25