Riders win third straightSep 18, 2011 - 4:04 AM Saskatchewan Roughriders hold on for a 30-20 victory over the Toronto Argonauts.
Darian Durant threw for 279 yards on 21-of-34 passing with one touchdown and one interception, while Wes Cates rushed 12 times for 56 yards for Saskatchewan (4-7), which has won three straight.
"We were just in man coverage," McKenzie said. "He threw to me and I went home with it."
Chris Getzlaf grabbed seven passes for 170 yards and a score and Dallas Baker snagged three passes for 30 yards.
Steven Jyles threw for 254 yards and one score to go two picks, and Cory Boyd ran 15 times for 90 yards for Toronto (2-9), which has dropped its past three.
Mike Bradwell led Argo receivers with 78 yards on four catches and kicker Noel Prefontaine was successful on all four of his field goal attempts in defeat.
"We turned over the ball and that was the ball game, Argonauts defensive end Ron Flemons said. "If we didn?t we would have won."
Prefontaine connected on a pair of field goals in the first quarter to give Toronto an early 6-0 lead.
Midway through the second quarter, Prefontaine nailed another field goal, this one from 34 yards out to give Toronto a 9-0 lead but Saskatchewan got on the board on its ensuing drive. With a first down at the Toronto 27-yard line, Durant found Getzlaf in the end zone for a score to cut the deficit to two for the Roughriders.
Prefontaine connected on his fourth field goal attempt of the game with less than a minute remaining before halftime to send Toronto into the break ahead 12-7.
After the break, Saskatchewan took the lead. Durant opened the drive with a 15-yard scamper up to the Roughriders 40-yard line and two plays later connected with Getzlaf on a 64-yard completion all the way to the Toronto six- yard line. Weston Dressler then punched the ball into the end zone to give Saskatchewan a 14-12 lead.
The Argos fought back to retake the lead late in the third quarter. With first down from their own 19-yard line, Jyles completed a 46-yard pass to Bradwell and a face mask penalty added 15 yards on to the end of the play, taking the ball all the way down to the Roughriders' 32. After a four-yard run by Boyd, Jyles found Andre Durie for a 28-yard touchdown pass to make it 19-14.
Milo connected on two field goals early in the fourth quarter to put Saskatchewan back on top 20-19, but Toronto got a single from Prefontaine to knot the game with roughly five minutes to go.
Saskatchewan leads the all-time series with Toronto by a 44-35-1 count...The Roughriders have won eight of their last 11 meetings with the Argos.
- TORONTO: 20
Sep 17 7:01 PM
- Chris Milo extra point is good.
Argonauts 20, Roughriders 30 4th - 0:39Sep 17 6:56 PM
- Saskatchewan Touchdown - Steven Jyles pass intercepted by Chris McKenzie at the Toronto 33 for 33 yards.
Argonauts 20, Roughriders 29 4th - 0:39Sep 17 6:56 PM
- Saskatchewan Field Goal - 25-yarder by Chris Milo.
Argonauts 20, Roughriders 23 4th - 2:31Sep 17 6:47 PM
- Saskatchewan Single - 60-yarder by Noel Prefontaine.
Argonauts 20, Roughriders 20 4th - 5:29Sep 17 6:44 PM
- Saskatchewan Field Goal - 30-yarder by Chris Milo.
Argonauts 19, Roughriders 20 4th - 9:07Sep 17 6:32 PM
- Saskatchewan Field Goal - 11-yarder by Chris Milo.
Argonauts 19, Roughriders 17 4th - 12:41Sep 17 6:25 PM
- TORONTO: 19
End of 3rd
Sep 17 6:19 PM
- Noel Prefontaine extra point is good.
Argonauts 19, Roughriders 14 3rd - 3:10Sep 17 6:10 PM
- Toronto Touchdown - Steven Jyles pass to Andre Durie for 28 yards.
Argonauts 18, Roughriders 14 3rd - 3:23Sep 17 6:09 PM
- Chris Milo extra point is good.
Argonauts 12, Roughriders 14 3rd - 9:52Sep 17 5:54 PM
- Saskatchewan Touchdown - Weston Dressler rushed wide right for 5 yards.
Argonauts 12, Roughriders 13 3rd - 9:59Sep 17 5:53 PM
- TORONTO: 12
Sep 17 5:28 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 32-yarder by Noel Prefontaine.
Argonauts 12, Roughriders 7 2nd - 0:51Sep 17 5:24 PM
- Dallas Baker extra point is good.
Argonauts 9, Roughriders 7 2nd - 4:09Sep 17 5:12 PM
- Saskatchewan Touchdown - Darian Durant pass to Chris Getzlaf for 27 yards.
Argonauts 9, Roughriders 6 2nd - 4:15Sep 17 5:11 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 34-yarder by Noel Prefontaine.
Argonauts 9, Roughriders 0 2nd - 5:42Sep 17 5:07 PM
- TORONTO: 6
End of 1st
Sep 17 4:46 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 41-yarder by Noel Prefontaine.
Argonauts 6, Roughriders 0 1st - 1:36Sep 17 4:37 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 18-yarder by Noel Prefontaine.
Argonauts 3, Roughriders 0 1st - 8:47Sep 17 4:21 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Sep 17 4:08 PM
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Blue Bombers down Roughriders Jun 27
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Roughriders host Blue Bombers to open new season Jun 24
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Riders keep WR Dressler with 4-year extension Jan 30
- Riders pick up Watson from Bombers Jan 29
- Roughriders sign Jamel Richardson Dec 22
- Eskimos defeat Roughriders to reach Western final Nov 16
- Western Division Semifinal pits Riders against Eskimos Nov 12
- Three Stampeders nab CFL weekly honors Nov 11