Chacin shuts out CubsApr 16, 2011 - 7:40 AM
Chacin (3-0) allowed six hits with seven strikeouts and yielded two walks as the Rockies continued their impressive start to the season, moving to a major league-best 11-2.
"To have this kid step out there tonight and do what he did is impressive," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy about Chacin. "He basically enabled the rest of the guys to take the night off."
Colorado's offense gave him support early, plating four runs on a Chris Iannetta triple in the second, in which Iannetta scored thanks to a Cubs throwing error.
Matt Garza (0-2) took the loss for allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out five. Aramis Ramirez finished 3-for-4 with a double in the loss, Chicago's fourth in six games.
"I know it's a long season and it's gonna turn around," said Garza. "All I can do is keep battling and keep going out there and giving it my best."
Chacin allowed two hits in the second, but benefitted from an inning-ending double play. His teammates gave him a cushion in the bottom of the frame.
Troy Tulowitzki, who had a four-game home run streak end, led off the frame with a single to left. After a Todd Helton single, Seth Smith walked to load the bases. After a Jose Lopez strikeout, Iannetta roped a triple just over the glove over Chicago center fielder Marlon Byrd, clearing the bases. Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro then overthrew third, allowing Iannetta to score.
Both pitchers held their ground until the fifth, when Helton hit a two-out single to center that scored Jonathan Herrera from second, putting the Rockies up 5-0.
Chacin held the Cubs to just one hit the rest of the way to seal the victory.
The Cubs finished 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position, stranding six...Chacin is now 3-0 for the first time in his career, he entered the night 0-1 against the Cubs in two appearances (1 start)...First base umpire Jerry Layne left the game in the second inning after taking a line drive off his ankle.
- CHICAGO: 0
Apr 15 11:04 PM
- Todd Helton singled to center scored Jonathan Herrera with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 15 10:12 PM
- Chris Iannetta tripled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki, Todd Helton and Seth Smith with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to home on Starlin Castro's throwing error. None on and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 15 9:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Apr 15 8:43 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21