Four-run eighth sends Rockies past CubsApr 18, 2011 - 1:17 AM
Carlos Gonzalez went 4-for-5 with a double, two RBI, a run scored and a stolen base, helping the Rockies rebound from Saturday's loss to win for the eighth time in nine contests.
Rafael Betancourt (1-0) recorded the final two outs of the eighth for the win.
Starlin Castro finished 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, an RBI, and two runs scored as Chicago dropped its third game in five.
Marcos Mateo (0-1) suffered the loss, charged with four runs on five hits in the eighth.
He started the inning by allowing an infield single to Ryan Spilborghs and a double to Jose Lopez. Mateo looked like he might get out of the jam unscathed when he got back-to-back strikeouts, but allowed the hit by Fowler. Jonathan Herrera and Gonzalez followed with consecutive RBI singles to blow the game wide open.
"That epitomizes baseball here in Colorado. You're never out of it," Cubs manager Mike Quade said. "You get within one pitch of getting out of a [heck] of a mess in the eighth."
Huston Street faced the minimum in the ninth to finish the game in a non-save situation.
The Cubs jumped out to an early lead in the first when Marlon Byrd grounded into a double play to plate Castro.
The Rockies answered in the bottom of the inning with a Gonzalez double that scored Herrera and a Todd Helton single that plated Gonzalez. Seth Smith followed with a two-run homer to give Colorado a 4-1 lead.
Chicago scored in the next three innings to gain a slight edge.
Geovany Soto singled to score Carlos Pena in the third, and the Cubs struck for two in the third. Aramis Ramirez's single scored Castro, and Darwin Barney then came home when Pena grounded into what could have been an inning-ending double play. But Herrera, the second baseman, threw the ball over Helton's head at first.
Castro's RBI double in the fourth gave the Cubs a 5-4 lead.
Colorado quickly evened the game in its half of the inning -- Smith led off with a double and scored after consecutive groundouts.
The tie score resulted in a no-decision for both starters. Chicago's Ryan Dempster lasted five innings, allowing five runs on seven hits and two walks while striking out four.
Colorado's Alan Johnson made his major league debut, a spot start made necessary by the Rockies' doubleheader with the New York Mets on Thursday. He allowed five runs -- four earned -- on six hits and three walks, and struck out three.
The game stayed even until Fowler's double in the eighth put the Rockies in front for good.
"It's a nice start I'll tell you that. The fashion that we've done it makes it more impressive. Today's game is obviously what we've been doing all year. Staying in games and winning them late," said Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki.
Colorado took three of five from the Cubs last season...Herrera extended his hitting streak to nine games...Chicago went 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
- CHICAGO: 5
Apr 17 6:55 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Jonathan Herrera with two out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 6:35 PM
- Jonathan Herrera single to right scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 6:34 PM
- Dexter Fowler double to center scored Ryan Spilborghs and Jose Lopez with two out. Runner on second and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 6:32 PM
- Jose Morales grounded out second to first scoring Seth Smith with two out. None on and Alan Johnson due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 4:48 PM
- Starlin Castro double to left scored Geovany Soto with two out. Runner on second and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 17 4:35 PM
- Carlos Pena grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Darwin Barney. On the play, Carlos Pena reached first on Jonathan Herrera's throwing error. Runner on first and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 4, Rockies 4 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 17 4:19 PM
- Aramis Ramirez single to left scored Starlin Castro with one out. Runners on first and second and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 4 Top 3, 1 OutApr 17 4:11 PM
- Geovany Soto single to left scored Carlos Pena with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Dempster due up.
Cubs 2, Rockies 4 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 17 3:47 PM
- Seth Smith two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Todd Helton with two out. None on and Jose Lopez due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 3:33 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 3:29 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez double to left center scored Jonathan Herrera with one out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 17 3:27 PM
- Marlon Byrd grounded into a double play, short to first scoring Starlin Castro with two out. None on and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 17 3:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 3:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21