Cubs beat Padres in 10 innings on Colvin's 2BApr 19, 2011 - 6:15 AM
Colvin's game-winner proved to be the Cubs' only extra-base hit of the night and was just their fifth hit overall. Geovany Soto went 1-for-4 and scored the deciding run.
Carlos Marmol (1-1) picked up the win after throwing 1 1/3 scoreless innings, while allowing one hit and striking out two. Carlos Zambrano, taking advantage of the winter-like conditions, went eight masterful innings, allowing just three hits while striking out 10.
"He's (Zambrano) been working hard, he's been having some good outings and he stepped up and brought it today," said Soto. "I was really pleased."
San Diego accounted for just five hits as well. Jason Bartlett provided the only multi-hit performance of the evening, going 2-for-4.
Chad Qualls (0-1) suffered the loss for the Padres. Starter Tim Stauffer equaled Zambrano in the pitchers' duel, going seven strong innings, allowing four hits and striking out four.
"He threw strikes, used both sides of the plate," Padres catcher Nick Hundley said of Stauffer. "I thought his sinker was as good as I've seen it."
After battling through unseasonable weather and dominant performances from the Padres' staff, Chicago got things going in the 10th when Kosuke Fukudome earned a one-out walk. Soto then grounded into a fielder's choice, bringing Colvin to the plate. The pinch-hitter wasted little time, ripping a 1-1 sinker into the right field corner to record the dramatic win.
"You know, I mean, I think you go into that situation, you watch the way (Zambrano) is throwing, you feel like one run is going to win this game," said Cubs' manager Mike Quade.
At 8-8, Chicago has now been 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7 and 8-8 this season...Zambrano entered the contest with a career-high 10-game win streak...Last season, the Cubs were swept by the Padres in a four-game series at home, getting outscored 20-9 over that span.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Apr 18 10:37 PM
- Tyler Colvin doubled to right scored Geovany Soto to win the game.
Padres 0, Cubs 1 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 18 10:37 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 8:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22