Six-run third helps Dodgers rip CubsApr 23, 2011 - 12:52 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Juan Uribe hit a two-run homer and drove in four overall, helping the Dodgers clobber the Cubs, 12-2, in the opener of a three-game series.
A.J. Ellis had a two-run single during the third inning, when Los Angeles scored six runs to gain control.
Chad Billingsley (2-1) gave up seven hits and walked three in 6 1/3 innings, but allowed only two runs (one earned) to help the Dodgers win their third consecutive game.
Cubs starter Casey Coleman (1-1) didn't make it out of the third inning, surrendering six hits and walking four while giving up all six runs.
"There are times when you're inconsistent and that was definitely today," Coleman said. "On a day like this, you definitely just need to pound the strike zone."
Kosuke Fukudome had three hits to lead Chicago, which split a doubleheader against San Diego on Wednesday.
After inclement weather delayed the game 74 minutes, the Dodgers built a big lead in the third thanks to a steady stream of hits. Jamey Carroll started the rally with a one-out double, moved to third on a single by Casey Blake, then scored when Andre Ethier smacked a single to center. Ethier also extended his hitting streak to 19 games on the play.
After Matt Kemp went down swinging, Uribe's base hit to center plated Blake. Coleman walked James Loney and Jerry Sands to force in a run and keep the bases loaded for Ellis, whose single to center brought in two.
"He had kind of been working me with fastballs away the first at-bat, then the second at-bat was a lot more breaking balls," Ellis said. "He left a breaking ball up, and I was able to square one up to center."
Billingsley got in on the rally with an RBI single to left, which gave the Dodgers a 6-0 cushion and forced a pitching change.
Jeff Stevens got the Cubs out of the inning, but gave up a two-run homer to Uribe in the fourth.
Chicago scored in the bottom half, when Aramis Ramirez scored on a passed ball, but the Cubs never caught up.
Uribe tacked on a sacrifice fly in the sixth, and Darwin Barney hit a run- scoring single in the seventh for the Cubs.
The Dodgers added three more runs in the ninth, highlighted by a two-run blast by pinch-hitter Marcus Thames.
LA went 6-for-14 with runners in scoring position...Marlon Byrd tripled for the Cubs...John Grabow tossed two scoreless innings for Chicago, and was the only Cubs pitcher not to give up a run...The Dodgers won four of the seven matchups last season.
- LOS ANGELES: 12
Apr 22 6:49 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. single to right scored Jamey Carroll with two out. Runners on first and second with Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 12, Cubs 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 22 6:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Marcus Thames two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored A.J. Ellis. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 11, Cubs 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 22 6:35 PM
- Starlin Castro reached first on an infield single to first. Bases loaded with one out and Tyler Colvin due up.
Dodgers 9, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 22 6:05 PM
- Juan Uribe sacrifice fly to center scored Casey Blake with one out. Runners on first and second and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 9, Cubs 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 22 5:37 PM
- Passed ball by A.J. Ellis scored Aramis Ramirez with two out. On the play, Marlon Byrd advanced to second. Runner on second and Alfonso Soriano at the plate.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 22 5:08 PM
- Juan Uribe two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Matt Kemp. James Loney due up.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 22 4:52 PM
- Chad Billingsley singled to left scoring Jerry Sands with two out. Runners on first and second and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 6, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 22 4:31 PM
- A.J. Ellis singled to center scoring Juan Uribe and James Loney with two out. Runners on first and third and Chad Billingsley due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 22 4:29 PM
- Jerry Sands walked scoring Andre Ethier with two out. Bases loaded and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 22 4:26 PM
- Juan Uribe singled to center scoring Casey Blake with two out. Runners on first and second and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 22 4:22 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to center scoring Jamey Carroll with one out. Runners on first and third and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 22 4:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 3:34 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22