Cubs use five-run eighth to beat DodgersApr 24, 2011 - 6:25 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jeff Baker hit a two-run double to cap the Cubs' five-run eighth inning, as Chicago came back to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers, 10-8, in the continuation of a three-game series.
Chicago faced an 8-5 deficit entering the inning, but got a two-run single from Starlin Castro and an RBI from Darwin Barney to tie the game. After Baker delivered the key hit, Carlos Marmol pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his fifth save.
Castro and Barney both drove in three for the Cubs, who dropped the opener of this set by a 12-2 margin. Castro ended with four hits, while Barney had three to set the tone at the top of Chicago's lineup.
"We know the feeling of when you're up and lose the lead late," said Baker. "So hopefully we can use this to build some momentum and put a nice little streak together."
Their late rally prevented starter Ryan Dempster from taking the loss. The right-hander allowed seven runs on nine hits -- three of them homers -- and three walks in 5 2/3 innings. Jeff Samardzija (2-0) tossed 1 1/3 scoreless frames to pick up the win.
Casey Blake hit a two-run homer for the Dodgers, who had won their last three, while Matt Kemp and Rod Barajas added solo shots.
Los Angeles starter Ted Lilly allowed five runs on 11 hits and a walk in 4 1/3 frames, and scoreless appearances by Dodgers relievers Mike MacDougal and Vicente Padilla got them through the sixth.
"I believe that once I got behind I needed to keep the score down and we would have been able to come back," said Lilly. "I wasn't able to do that and I put the guys in a tough spot."
Matt Guerrier (1-1) pitched a 1-2-3 seventh for the Dodgers, but got into a huge jam in the eighth.
Alfonso Soriano led off with a single before Reed Johnson reached on a bunt single. Guerrier then walked pinch-hitter Kosuke Fukudome to load the bases and set the stage for Castro, who slapped a two-run base hit to center.
Barney followed by hitting a fielder's choice grounder to short, allowing Fukudome to race home and make it an 8-8 game.
Guerrier then fanned Marlon Byrd, but Aramis Ramirez's subsequent single put runners on the corners and forced a pitching change. The Dodgers brought in Blake Hawksworth, but he left a pitch up for Baker, who drove it to the wall in right-center.
Barney scored easily, and Ramirez chugged around the bases to establish the two-run lead. Marmol worked around a one-out walk in the ninth to end the game.
Ramirez's sacrifice fly in the first inning got the Cubs on the board, and Kemp's RBI single in the third tied the game.
But Barney had a run-scoring hit in the bottom half, and Chicago seemed to take control in the fourth. It got RBI hits from Johnson, Castro and Barney to build a 5-1 advantage.
However, the Dodgers responded over the middle innings.
Aaron Miles led off the fifth with a single before Blake blasted a homer to left-center. Kemp added his fifth homer of the season later in the inning.
Barajas led off the sixth with a homer, and Andre Ethier smacked a two-run double after Sean Marshall entered the game for Dempster. The double extended Ethier's hitting streak to 20 games and gave LA a 7-5 lead.
A fielder's choice grounder from Barajas in the seventh put the Dodgers up by three.
Chicago is 8-2 after losses this season...Ethier's streak is currently the longest in the majors...Lilly made his first start against the Cubs since they traded him to the Dodgers last summer.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Apr 23 4:39 PM
- Jeff Baker doubled to right scoring Darwin Barney and Aramis Ramirez with two out. Runner on third and Geovany Soto due up.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 23 4:28 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Kosuke Fukudome with one out. Runner on first and Marlon Byrd due up.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 8 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 23 4:15 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to center scoring Alfonso Soriano and Reed Johnson with none out. Runners on first and third and Darwin Barney due up.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 23 4:14 PM
- Rod Barajas reached first on a fielder's choice to short scoring Jerry Sands with one out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 8, Cubs 5 Top 7, 1 OutApr 23 3:45 PM
- Andre Ethier doubled to right scoring Tony Gwynn Jr. and Casey Blake with two out. Runner on second and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 7, Cubs 5 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 23 3:24 PM
- Rod Barajas lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 5 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 23 3:12 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Jerry Sands due up.
Dodgers 4, Cubs 5 Top 5, 1 OutApr 23 2:48 PM
- Casey Blake none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Aaron Miles. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 5 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 23 2:45 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Starlin Castro with two out. Runner on first and Marlon Byrd due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 23 2:36 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scoring Reed Johnson with two out. Runner on first and Darwin Barney due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 23 2:32 PM
- Reed Johnson doubled to center scoring Geovany Soto with one out. On the play, Reed Johnson advanced to third on Matt Kemp's throwing error. Runner on third and Ryan Dempster due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 23 2:29 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Starlin Castro with one out. Runner on first and Marlon Byrd due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 23 2:07 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to right scoring Casey Blake with two out. Runner on first and Jerry Sands due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 1:54 PM
- Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly to center scored Darwin Barney with two out. Runner on second and Jeff Baker due up.
Dodgers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 1:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 1:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22