Rockies down Cubs, who commit four errorsApr 26, 2011 - 6:40 AM
Dexter Fowler tripled and scored a run for Colorado, which was limited to four hits for the game. The Rockies have won three of their last five.
Esmil Rogers (3-1) picked up the win after working 5 1/3 innings. The right- hander allowed three runs on eight hits, walked four and struck out three. Huston Street threw a scoreless ninth to lock down the win and record his eighth save of the season.
Darwin Barney hit a two-run homer and Alfonso Soriano drove in a run for the Cubs, who pounded out 11 hits, but went 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12 runners on base. Chicago has dropped four of five.
Kosuke Fukudome went 5-for-5 -- all singles -- and scored a run in defeat.
Matt Garza (0-3) was dealt the loss for giving up five runs -- one earned -- on three hits in six frames. He fanned seven and walked one.
Fukudome led off the first with a single and scored when Barney hit a homer into the basket in left. Then with the bases loaded and one away, Soriano's sacrifice fly brought in another to give the Cubs a brief 3-0 lead.
The Rockies tied it with three in the second with the aide of three errors by shortstop Starlin Castro.
"If you're going to get beat, you'd at least like to not gift wrap the thing for the opposition," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
Troy Tulowitzki reached on the first miscue and Seth Smith singled two batters later to put runners on the corners. Lopez then hit a slow roller, but Castro couldn't handle the ball cleanly, allowing the first run to score from third.
With runners on first and second, the young shortstop made a nice backhanded stop on ball hit by Chris Iannetta, but threw wide of the mark to second and both men came in to even the game at 3-3.
Rogers singled and Fowler walked to lead off the fifth. Garza's throwing error on a bunt by Jonathan Herrera allowed Rogers to score with Fowler taking third. Gonzalez's RBI groundout made it a 5-3 game.
"When the door of opportunity knocks, we're capitalizing," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Chicago had its chances, but stranded a pair of runners in the sixth, Soriano bounced into an inning-ending double play in the seventh and the Cubs left another on base in the eighth.
Street took the hill for the bottom of the ninth and yielded a one-out double to Jeff Baker, then struck out Carlos Pena and retired Marlon Byrd on a groundout to end the game.
Colorado improved to 10-4 in the last 14 matchups against the Cubs...Garza fell to 0-3 in three career starts versus the Rockies...Colorado went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded four.
- COLORADO: 5
Apr 25 11:22 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded out second to first scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on third with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Cubs 3 Top 5, 1 OutApr 25 9:51 PM
- Jonathan Herrera reached first on Matt Garza's throwing error scored Esmil Rogers. Runners on second and third with none out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 4, Cubs 3 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 25 9:49 PM
- Chris Iannetta reached first on Starlin Castro's throwing error scored , advances to third on the throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Esmil Rogers due up.
Rockies 3, Cubs 3 Top 2, 1 OutApr 25 8:44 PM
- Jose Lopez reached first on Starlin Castro's fielding error scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 3 Top 2, 1 OutApr 25 8:43 PM
- Alfonso Soriano sacrifice fly out to right scored Jeff Baker. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Geovany Soto due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 25 8:32 PM
- Darwin Barney none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Kosuke Fukudome. Starlin Castro due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 25 8:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 25 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21