Cardinals rout Cubs in series finaleMay 12, 2011 - 11:47 PM
Jay, Colby Rasmus and Yadier Molina each had three hits for the Cardinals, who have won six of their last nine games. Garcia (5-0) allowed one run on a season-high nine hits and struck out four.
"That's always a good sign when a pitcher comes out of the bullpen after warming up and doesn't have his best stuff, but is still able to go out and pitch the game that he did," said Cardinals acting manager Joe Pettini.
Jeff Baker went 3-for-4 and knocked in the lone run for Chicago, which has dropped three of four. Cubs starter Casey Coleman (1-3) surrendered six runs on nine hits and walked four in 4 1/3 innings.
St. Louis put up a five-spot in the second. Matt Holliday led off the frame by clubbing his fifth home run of the season. Rasmus then singled and Molina followed with a double. After Coleman intentionally walked Tyler Greene to load the bases, Garcia helped his own cause with an RBI single before Jay doubled home a pair. Allen Craig's sacrifice fly made it 5-0.
The Cardinals tacked on another run in the fifth, as Molina singled home Rasmus.
Chicago got on the board in the sixth after three consecutive singles by Marlon Byrd, Aramis Ramirez and Baker produced a run. The lone walk issued by Garcia loaded the bases with one out, but the left-hander retired Alfonso Soriano on a pop-up, then fanned Welington Castillo to escape further damage.
"[We] want to do better with guys in scoring position," Baker said.
Nick Punto capped a three-run seventh with an RBI double, extending St. Louis' lead to 9-1. Greene and Jay also knocked in runs during the inning.
Garcia lowered his ERA to 1.89...The Cardinals recorded seven doubles and finished 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position...Byrd has now hit safely in 13 straight games.
- ST. LOUIS: 9
May 12 5:10 PM
- Nick Punto double to left scored Jon Jay with two out. Runner on second and Albert Pujols due up.
Cardinals 9, Cubs 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 12 4:33 PM
- Jon Jay single to center scored Tyler Greene with two out. Runner on second and Nick Punto due up.
Cardinals 8, Cubs 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 12 4:31 PM
- Tyler Greene double to right scored Yadier Molina with one out. Runner on second and Jaime Garcia due up.
Cardinals 7, Cubs 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 12 4:26 PM
- Jeff Baker single to center scored Marlon Byrd with one out. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Carlos Pena due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 12 4:13 PM
- Yadier Molina single to center scored Colby Rasmus with one out. Runner on first and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 12 3:35 PM
- Allen Craig sacrifice fly to right scored Jaime Garcia with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advanced to third. Runner on third and Albert Pujols due up.
Cardinals 5, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 12 2:45 PM
- Jaime Garcia single to center scored Colby Rasmus with one out. On the play, Tyler Greene advanced to second and Yadier Molina advanced to third. Bases loaded with Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 12 2:42 PM
- Colby Rasmus singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 12 2:36 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21