Cubs' return to Fenway spoiled by Red SoxMay 21, 2011 - 6:21 AM
Kevin Youkilis homered and knocked in three runs, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia also went deep for Boston. Jacoby Ellsbury chipped in three hits and two RBI.
Jon Lester (6-1) won his sixth consecutive decision despite allowing 12 hits and five runs over six innings.
Friday's game represented the Cubs' first time in Fenway Park in nearly 93 years since the final game of the 1918 World Series that saw the Red Sox defeat Chicago in six games. Babe Ruth was the winning pitcher for Boston in two of those games.
The Cubs' gap of nearly 96 years (July 26, 1915 to May 20, 2011) between regular season games at one venue is the longest in major league history.
Doug Davis (0-2) was blasted for eight hits and seven runs in 3 2/3 innings, as the Cubs had a two-game win streak halted.
"The loss kind of put an end to my enthusiasm for this wonderful, momentous occasion," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
Jeff Baker had four hits and two runs scored in defeat in a game that featured 31 hits, a season-high 19 by the Red Sox.
Gonzalez had an RBI single during a two-run first inning. Boston's first run came home thanks to a throwing error on Chicago catcher Koyie Hill.
The Cubs tied the game in the third thanks to an RBI double from Aramis Ramirez and a run-scoring groundout from Carlos Pena.
Youkilis lifted a sacrifice fly in the third, and Jed Lowrie added an RBI single to left field later in the inning for a 4-2 margin.
Boston blew it open in the next inning by sending 10 batters to the plate, highlighted by Youkilis' two-run blast over the Green Monster. The ball actually left the park, just after Gonzalez singled in two runs.
Chicago scored three times in the fifth, helped by Reed Johnson's two-run double, but Boston scored two in its half, one on Saltalamacchia's homer to left-center off Scott Maine leading off the inning to provide a 10-5 cushion.
"It was good to get the big lead and cruise the last three innings," Gonzalez said. "It was nice and relaxing."
Carl Crawford and Ellsbury each had two-run singles during a five-run eighth.
This marked the Cubs' 13th regular season game at Fenway Park, the first since July 26, 1915 against the Boston Braves. The two clubs met in interleague play back in 2005 at Wrigley Field with the Cubs winning two of the three games in that series...Lester moved to 8-2 all-time against National League teams...The Red Sox made several roster moves prior to Friday's game, including activating pitcher Dan Wheeler from the 15-day disabled list...Youkilis has 500 career runs batted in...Boston has also won seven in a row at home...Scott Atchison collected his first career save by throwing three perfect innings.
- CHICAGO: 5
May 20 10:47 PM
- Kevin Youkilis flied out to center to end the inning.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 15 End 8May 20 10:41 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Mike Cameron and Carl Crawford. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 14 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 20 10:36 PM
- Carl Crawford single to right scored Kevin Youkilis and David Ortiz. On the play, Mike Cameron advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 12 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 20 10:29 PM
- David Ortiz grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 10 End 5May 20 9:31 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury doubled to right. Runner on second with none out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 20 9:22 PM
- Koyie Hill grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 8 Mid 5May 20 9:17 PM
- Alfonso Soriano infield single to short scored Jeff Baker. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second and Carlos Pena advances to third on Jed Lowrie's thowing error. Runners on second and third with two outs and Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 3, Red Sox 8 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 20 9:15 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. David Ortiz due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 20 8:50 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 20 8:46 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to left scored David Ortiz. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Cameron due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 20 8:21 PM
- Kevin Youkilis sacrifice fly to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 20 8:17 PM
- Carlos Pena ground out second to first scored Jeff Baker. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 20 8:08 PM
- Aramis Ramirez double to left scored Darwin Barney. On the play, Jeff Baker advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 1, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 20 8:06 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with none out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Cubs 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 20 7:36 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21