Cubs rally at Fenway, halt Boston's streak at 7May 22, 2011 - 5:33 AM
Johnson's effort came about after starting center fielder Marlon Byrd was hit in the head by a pitch in the top of the second inning and did not return.
Starlin Castro, Aramis Ramirez, Jeff Baker and Carlos Pena drove in a run each for the Cubs, who have won three of four. Chicago posted its first victory over Boston at Fenway since September 10, 1918 in Game 5 of that year's World Series, and notched its first regular-season triumph there since May 24, 1915 against the Boston Braves.
Sean Marshall (2-0) tossed 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief for the win. Carlos Zambrano allowed seven hits and three runs over 5 2/3 innings.
David Ortiz hit a two-run homer -- his 300th with Boston -- for the Red Sox, whose seven-game win streak was put to rest.
Matt Albers (0-2) took the loss and a blown save, charged with six runs -- five earned -- with three hits and two walks.
"I don't think he pitched as bad as his line showed," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said of Albers. "We dropped balls and threw them away. It got a little bit ugly."
Regardless, it ruined a solid outing from starter Alfredo Aceves, who gave up one run on three hits in five full frames.
Chicago sent 12 men to the plate in their game-changing at-bat, turning a 3-1 deficit into a 9-3 edge.
Darwin Barney began the surge with a single and Castro followed with a base hit. Ramirez walked then Pena also walked to force in a run. Johnson followed by dumping a double to left which plated two and put the Cubs ahead 4-3. Alfonso Soriano reached on an error allowing Pena to come in, and Albers was replaced by Franklin Morales.
Baker greeted the hurler with a pinch double for a 6-3 game, and two batters later, Kosuke Fukudome walked to load the bases. Kevin Youkilis and Carl Crawford committed errors on a Barney fly ball which scored Soriano and Baker, then Castro ended the run with an RBI two-bagger for a six-run margin.
Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol made that lead hold up with two consecutive scoreless innings.
Ramirez drove in Fukudome with a double in the third, then Ortiz hit the milestone blast over the Green Monster in the fourth after Youkilis led off with a base hit to put the Sox ahead 2-1.
"My one mistake was my pitch to Big Papi. It was away and I should have stayed in," Zambrano said.
Crawford singled with one out in the sixth and later scored on a single from Jacoby Ellsbury.
Zambrano had won 10 of his last 11 starts on road...Both teams wore 1918 throwbacks to honor the last meeting between the teams, which the Red Sox won for their last championship until 2004...Only Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Rice and Dwight Evans have hit 300-or-more homers with the franchise.
- CHICAGO: 9
May 21 11:08 PM
- Aramis Ramirez popped out to first to end the inning.
Cubs 9, Red Sox 3 Mid 8May 21 10:43 PM
- Darwin Barney flied out to right. On the play, Kevin Youkilis fielding error scored Alfonso Soriano and Jeff Baker. On the play, Kosuke Fukudome advances to third on Carl Crawford's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 8, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 21 10:42 PM
- Koyie Hill struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with one out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cubs 6, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 1 OutMay 21 10:34 PM
- Alfonso Soriano reached first on Jed Lowrie's missed catch error scoring Carlos Pena. Runners on first and second with none out and Blake DeWitt due up.
Cubs 5, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 21 10:30 PM
- Reed Johnson doubled to left scoring Starlin Castro and Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 4, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 21 10:27 PM
- Carlos Pena walk scored Darwin Barney. Bases loaded with none out and Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 2, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 21 10:25 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singled to right scoring Carl Crawford. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Cubs 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 21 9:33 PM
- David Ortiz none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Kevin Youkilis. J.D. Drew due up.
Cubs 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 8:38 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to left center scoring Kosuke Fukudome. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 1, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 21 8:12 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:20 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21