Defensive miscues allow Cubs to rout MetsMay 25, 2011 - 6:04 AM
Starlin Castro had three hits and drove in two for the Cubs, who also got a pair of RBI from Darwin Barney and Carlos Zambrano.
Dempster (3-4) allowed seven hits and fanned five to move his career mark to 10-5 against the Mets.
New York faltered in the opener of this three-game series by allowing five unearned runs. Jon Niese (3-5) yielded seven hits and six runs, but just two earned, over five frames.
"They put good swings on pitches. I don't think they hit me too hard, but obviously they hit them in the right spots," Niese said.
The Mets lost their third in a row and have surrendered 27 runs in that span.
Lou Montanez, in his first game with the Cubs, doubled to right field to score Aramis Ramirez to start a five-run second inning. Mets catcher Ronny Paulino then committed the first of his two errors on the night when the ball popped out of his glove on a throw home from first baseman Daniel Murphy. That came off a ground ball from Koyie Hill.
Following Dempster's sacrifice bunt and a Reed Johnson walk, Barney singled in Montanez to keep the bases full. Castro then singled in two more runs to cap the outburst.
A Jose Reyes infield single scored Ruben Tejada in the top of the fifth, but Castro's RBI triple down to the right field corner in the bottom half made it 6-1.
The Cubs caught a break in the sixth. Johnson struck out with runners at first and second, but Paulino's snap throw to first to try for a double play sailed down the right field line. That allowed Hill to come home.
Chicago tacked on four runs in the seventh to account for the 10-run margin. Pat Misch walked Hill with the bases full. Zambrano, serving as a pinch- hitter, then broke his bat on a single up the middle, off the glove of second baseman Tejada to score two more. Johnson's single to left made it 11-1. Mets left fielder Fernando Martinez booted the ball, but the Cubs left two runners in scoring position when Barney struck out.
"If we continue to have good at-bats, we're going to give ourselves a good chance to win the game. Today we were able to go some good things," Johnson said.
Montanez, who was the third overall pick of the 2000 draft by the Cubs, had spent the first three years (2008-10) of his major league career with Baltimore after being signed as a free agent in 2006. He was inked as a free agent by the Cubs this January...Earlier Tuesday, the Cubs placed pitcher Matt Garza on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow bone contusion. To fill the roster spot, the Cubs selected the contract of Montanez from Triple-A Iowa. The team also transferred pitcher Brian Schiltter to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for Montanez...Mets left field Jason Bay left the game in the seventh inning with a stiff right calf...The Cubs are 11-1 in their last 12 games against NL East opponents dating to August 23, 2010.
- NEW YORK: 1
May 24 10:58 PM
- Reed Johnson singled to left scoring Koyie Hill. On the play, Johnson advances to second on Fernando Martinez's fielding error. On the play, Carlos Zambrano advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 10:27 PM
- Pinch-hitter Carlos Zambrano singled off second to center scoring Tony Campana and Lou Montanez. On the play, Koyie Hill advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Reed Johnson due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 10:25 PM
- Koyie Hill's walk scored Aramis Ramirez. Bases loaded with two outs and Ryan Dempster due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 10:21 PM
- Reed Johnson struck out swinging. On the play, Ronny Paulino's throwing error scored Koyie Hill. Runner on third with two outs as Ryan Dempster advanced and Darwin Barney due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 24 9:57 PM
- Starlin Castro tripled to right scoring Darwin Barney. Runner on third with none out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 24 9:36 PM
- Daniel Murphy grounded out second to first. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 24 9:29 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scoring Koyie Hill and Reed Johnson. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 24 8:56 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Lou Montanez. On the play, Reed Johnson advances to second and Koyie Hill advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 24 8:55 PM
- Koyie Hill reached firstt on a fielder's choice to first. On the play, Ronny Paulino's fielding error scored Alfonso Soriano. Runners on first and third with one out as Lou Montanez advances and Ryan Dempster due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 24 8:51 PM
- Lou Montanez doubled to right scoring Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second. Runners on second and second with one out and Koyie Hill due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 24 8:45 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 8:06 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21